chicks afraid in new coop

dor

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Hi - I moved my chicks outside to their new coop and they won't go near the food or water, like they are afraid of getting out of their area with the bedding and going over to it! It is really hot and they are panting, I even corralled them over to the water but they just stood there. Finally I put the waterer in the bedding (it is a shallow drawer they can easily hop in and out of)
Any other ideas before they overheat? I'm new to chickens and don't know if they'll figure it out or not - it is the same food and water dispensers that they have been using but they act like they are afraid of that side of the coop.

Maybe try giving them some favorite treats? I've noticed my chickens seem to be afraid of most new things/places, but just putting some yogurt or scratch on or near it makes them decide it's okay. To keep them cool, I've been putting frozen jugs of water in the coop for mine - of course, they were scared of the bottles until I tucked some treats into the handle.

Have you tried taking the chickens over to the new waterer location one by one, and dipping their beaks in? Or are they too traumatized? If you're able to lock them out of their old area for a little while, that might help them get the idea also. Good luck, hope they settle down soon!

thanks - yes I tried the beak thing but they didn't get it. I will remove the drawer with the bedding for a while, maybe let them in the grass first while I rearrange things. I haven't given them treats yet, just the starter. But I do let them out in the grass once a day. I only have five chicks (silkies) and two are 7 weeks and the others a few weeks younger.

Hooray! I just put a little grass and hay near the water and dipped hay in and gave them a drink from it. They were intrigued and one by one came over to investigate. Then one saw the feed and began feeding and they all dove in like I'd been starving them! What a bunch of goofs.

Back
Top Bottom