Chicks and Cats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ilovemyduckies, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    So I've got three cats, and 25 eggs in the incubator. They are due to hatch on Monday. I'm kinda worried about the chicks now. Last year, I had two cats. I also had 8 ducklings living outside with their mom, and the cats didn't touch them, so I know my older cat shouldn't do anything (I don't have the other cat anymore, but we did have him for 11 years). About 7-8 months ago, I found 4 stray kittens. I still have two (we gave the other two away). So I'm worried that they will get a hold of one (or more) of the chicks. I didn't really think about this until I went outside and saw that the cats had gotten a bird (not one of my birds, just a common sparrow)

2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I would make sure you not only have a very secure brooder lid but also a heat lamp that is secured in at least 3 different ways!

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes I'm pretty sure that my brooder is cat proof, but I'm worried about what will happen when they are outside the brooder. Some of the eggs in the incubator are duck eggs, and I will most likely let them swim when they a little older (under supervision of course). And if I let them free range a little, I don't want the cats getting a hold of them. I guess I'll just have to wait until they are pretty big to let them free-range

4. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Either that or create a small chicken wire pen in the yard for them to play in when they are really little. I have a cat too who is combo indoor and outdoor. While they are really small I've been keeping the brooder in a closed room unless I am there to watch them all the time like when I took it outside today because it was nice. I will only be letting them free-range in the yard when I am able to watch them anyways cuz we have neighborhood cats and raccoons.

5. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I have a predator proof chicken run. I built a little chicken wire play pen for them inside. They are safe and secure from the 8 or 12 cats in he area. In fact they are out there right now. I check on them from time to time. No worries

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by