1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks and coops

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Utnmcb21, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Utnmcb21

Utnmcb21 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    At what age do I introduce the new chicks to the coop and what is the best way? Thanks

2. SMonroe1990

SMonroe1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    New York
    I would say it depends on how old your chicks are, how feathered they are, and the weather where you live. I waited until mine were about 6 weeks, fully feathered and stuck them out there. The only reason I did that is because the weather her has been kind of weird with cool nights and hot days. I kept mine locked in the actual coop for about a week, just placed them in there one day and kept them shut in. After a week I opened the pop door to let them into their run and every night at 8 I go out to close the door and lock them in for good for the night, so far I have had no issues with having to chase chickens in. I have heard however that you can just keep them locked in the coop for as few as 3 days.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I like to give them field trips out to the coop at 2 weeks of age, as long as it is not a cold day. Make the visits short at first and increase the time outside as they age. You can get them out in the yard too, but keep a very close eye on them at all times. They can escape and disappear fast. I like to use an enclosure when I get them outside.

The more access they have to the coop, the easier it will be to go out there for good with the least amount of stress. If they are familiar, they will adjust quick to the coop.

When you do take them out for good, keep them in the coop for a couple days, not letting them outside. This will help them know where home is and will always return to the coop at night to roost.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. NextGeneration

NextGeneration Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    the U.S.
    In their fifth week of life, take them outside during the day and let them play outside in an enclosure (under supervision.) Then, at 6 weeks, put them in their coop if the night will be above 50 degrees F. If it is under 50 degrees, bring them inside to sleep in a temperate brooder.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Around 10 weeks is when it's best to move the chicks out. At the earliest wait until they are fully feathered. But they can be outside for most of the day before they actually move outside. Just make sure they are safe and secure.

Just put them in the coop at night. They'll probably act scared and confused at first but the'll get used to it very soon. Make sure it's comfy, cozy, secure and draft free.

Good luck and best wishes!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've received some good advice from the other members. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicks do you have?

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! If the weather is good at around 6 weeks of age.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by