Chicks and Dog

I was worried about this too. I have an older spaniel and I was pretty sure she would be fine. She's been around all kinds of animals and small children and will bark but isn't aggressive. BUT we just adopted a black lab mix and he is still a puppy at just under a year. He freaked out when I brought them in the house. He was terrified! The big baby
love.gif
So I brought him in with me to visit the brooder every day. Lots of attention and praise for him and pretty soon he was happy to come in the room with them.

Then we moved them outside to their coop. I wasn't expecting any problems because he seemed fine with them, but now that the chicks were outside he figured it was time to play. They were not so happy about being chased from one end of the run to the other by a giant dog even if he was wagging his tail at them! I tried to distract him, but what really worked for us was to get a squirt bottle and fill it with water. When ever he got too rowdy, I told him "no" firmly and gave him a little squirt. He figured it out in less than a weekend and now will just go smell them and visit.

We have a 6 yr old Lab. Loves killing bunnies, squirrels, etc. So I was pretty worried last spring when I got my first batch of chicks. The brooder was a large wire dog kennel that I placed in the kitchen. So the chicks were well protected. The dog, and my two cats, watched them grow and were around them constantly. Now all three furry critters are cautious and respectful around my year old hens after receiving pecks on the nose. Until the chicks were 3 months old they were protected by an enclosure from the dog and cats, during which time the dog and cats were taught that the chicks were off limits. After that keep a close eye out til you are sure you can trust the dog. Each dog is different, and if the dog minds well you probably won't have problems.

I would suggest letting your dog satisfy his natural curiosity under your supervision. Let him smell (a huge deal for a dog) them.

We're new to chickens... currently have four (2 week old) bantam chicks in a living room brooder. We have three dogs (two 8 year old boston terriers and a 4 year old pug). I am terrified that once the chickens are free-ranging in our backyard, the dogs will try to kill them. So far they've been checking them out in the brooder. They're very interested but seem to be getting used to them. Though whenever the chicks squeak louder than usual, or fly on top of their water dish the dogs come running. For the last two days, we've let the chicks into the small run that's attached to their coop, then let the dogs out into the yard. They haven't barked or anything, but they stick their noses against the run.

I think the next step (maybe next week?) will be to let the chicks free range in the backyard, then take each dog out one-by-one on a leash. We'll give a firm "no" and a tug if they seem too interested. I really hope that in time we'll be able to trust the dogs to hang out in the yard while the chickens free-range (always supervised) but I just don't know.

I have two dogs. Both are golden mixes. One is golden/black lab, the other golden/sheltie.

The Golden/Lab absolutely cannot be trusted with the chicks. He gets very, very excited by small moving things like squirrels and wild birds. He whines and fixates on the chicks in the box. He's the same way with out cats. He hates them, but at least he won't eat the cats. The chicks, I'm not so sure about. I simply don't allow him access to them with out him being on a leash. And I won't allow it when they're moved outside.

The other, the golden/sheltie, is bombproof. She adores the chicks, and lets them wander around her, all the while she has this moon-eyed look on her face that seems to say "My Babies!!"

I don't trust one of my dogs, or my ability to train him well enough to guarantee the chicken's safety. I don't know if I could ever look at my dog the same way if he ate another pet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom