Chicks and Fans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jun 11, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Hello all!

My chicks all seem to be doing well. The three little Dominique girls are by far the friendliest of the group! They really seem to enjoy interacting, and even stand still and sometimes lay down to be petted [​IMG] They are ALL so cute! Anyways, it's been a little stuffy here, not too warm for the chicks but getting a little too warm for me (around 75+). Is it okay to put a ceiling fan on in the room where the chicks are? I have been covering them with a blanket (leaving one side open) when I turn the fan on because I'm worried they will get a draft, but I've been wondering if that's really necessary. So far I've only been running the fan at night when they should be sleeping, so I don't worry about covering them up a bit then, but what about during the day?

Thx!

2. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Oh - I should have said that their ages are almost 2 weeks and almost 1 week.

Thx!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I constantly have a fan on and it's never hurt any that I've raised!! [​IMG]

4. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Good question, I'm interested in the answer too. My chicks are 3 weeks old (Monday) and I would love to have them sit in the living room with me but the fan is on because it's so very hot and I was concerned the breeze wouldn't b good. [​IMG]

5. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    If they get cold they will let u know! [​IMG] As long as the fan isn't blowing them away, I think they would b fine. Just watch how they act. [​IMG]

6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    The only thing I have to add is that when my chicks were in the brooder, I turned on the ceiling fan and they did the "death from above" freak out! [​IMG] [​IMG] They weren't directly under it, so I never thought about this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by