Chicks and hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 15shenyl, Jan 19, 2013.

1. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    When I get my new chicks in the spring, I have been debating weather I should let my hens raise the chicks. Or if I keep them away and show the chicks to the hens everyday than take the chicks back. Or should I wate until the chicks are old enough to be left outside and show the hens at that time. I just don't know what I should do. The chicks are going to be show birds just like the hens I have now, in case that helps. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you have a hen that is broody at the time that you get the chicks, you may be able to foster the chicks to her. If they are not broody, your hens are very likely to attack and kill the chicks without the protection of a mother. Chicken society can be very harsh. Do a forum search and read threads on flock integration.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, if a hen's broody, you can try getting her to accept the babies, but that's tricky. Some birds have such strong maternal instincts, some not so much. If you don't have a broody hen, I'd just keep the chicks seperate until they're old enough to join the big girls. I've found waiting until 4 months or so is best, I've had 2 month old birds killed by older hens. Showing them to the older hens won't do anything, really. You'll need a seperate grow pen until the chicks are big enough to go in with the big girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by