Chicks and Quail together?

Quote:
Quail should not quit laying at only 8 months old. They need about 14 hours of light a day to lay, though. Also, cold temperatures can reduce or stop their laying. 20% protein is also too low for quail & may have caused them to stop laying.

Quail that do not lay eggs at 8 months old are probably either 1) genetically inferior or 2) victims of poor husbandry or 3) in low light / low temperature conditions or 4) some combination of the first 3.
My 2 year old quail still lay eggs every single day.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes they can, even if it is not recommended. I did it for a year and only lost a couple while getting an egg a day.

Now that I have my Turkeys and Peafowl, I would feed the quail a higher protein. But at the time, it was 100 free quail and they had to eat what the chickens did.

(lets not get into an argument about how I should feed my Turks and Peas different foods. They all look good and keep my feed order simple)

Quote:
Quail should not quit laying at only 8 months old. They need about 14 hours of light a day to lay, though. Also, cold temperatures can reduce or stop their laying. 20% protein is also too low for quail & may have caused them to stop laying.

Quail that do not lay eggs at 8 months old are probably either 1) genetically inferior or 2) victims of poor husbandry or 3) in low light / low temperature conditions or 4) some combination of the first 3.
My 2 year old quail still lay eggs every single day.

Then what's the reason that the males completely stopped crowing? What's the reason why the males' testicles have completley shriveled up? I suppose that's poor genetics too...

I've brooded quail and chicks together just fine. In fact, the only difference between the gamebird starter and the chick starter here is 5% protein and a $5 higher sticker price for the quail food. They have the same medications in them, too... they just don't say "medicated" on the label. You have to look in the ingredient list for it. Of course, we're pretty limited in the feed suppliers here, but that's what I have to work with. The quail have done just fine on the chick starter, and in a pinch, the gamebird starter works for chicks too. I tend to believe that chicks/quail that are hatched together will be fine... you just don't want to bring in adult gamebirds of unknown origins and just plop them in your chicken coop... THEN you will likely have problems with shared diseases. I think the biggest problem you will have is when the chicks start out-grow the quail... that's when the picking and squashing starts.
wink.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I've brooded quail and chicks together just fine. In fact, the only difference between the gamebird starter and the chick starter here is 5% protein and a $5 higher sticker price for the quail food. They have the same medications in them, too... they just don't say "medicated" on the label. You have to look in the ingredient list for it. Of course, we're pretty limited in the feed suppliers here, but that's what I have to work with. The quail have done just fine on the chick starter, and in a pinch, the gamebird starter works for chicks too. I tend to believe that chicks/quail that are hatched together will be fine... you just don't want to bring in adult gamebirds of unknown origins and just plop them in your chicken coop... THEN you will likely have problems with shared diseases. I think the biggest problem you will have is when the chicks start out-grow the quail... that's when the picking and squashing starts.
wink.png

So if you brood Quail and chicks together they can get used to each other and immune to any deaseses, then they can live together?​

No, I don't know if that's true or not.
smile.png
I meant that more diseases are introduced to the different species by bringing in adult birds that may/may not be carriers. But the chances of them having or giving each other diseases when you hatched them from eggs is probably diminished greatly. IMHO, anyway. People have lost birds due to cross-over diseases, so it's advised not to house them together.
I have, on occasion, brooded same-day hatch coturnix and chicks without experiencing any problems. Others will tell you otherwise. I can't say either way that you will or won't have problems, but if you hatched them yourself from clean fresh eggs, chances are you will be fine.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

No, I don't know if that's true or not.
smile.png
I meant that more diseases are introduced to the different species by bringing in adult birds that may/may not be carriers. But the chances of them having or giving each other diseases when you hatched them from eggs is probably diminished greatly. IMHO, anyway. People have lost birds due to cross-over diseases, so it's advised not to house them together.
I have, on occasion, brooded same-day hatch coturnix and chicks without experiencing any problems. Others will tell you otherwise. I can't say either way that you will or won't have problems, but if you hatched them yourself from clean fresh eggs, chances are you will be fine.

ok, thanks for the info. I'll try it and see how it works​

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I tend to believe that chicks/quail that are hatched together will be fine... you just don't want to bring in adult gamebirds of unknown origins and just plop them in your chicken coop... THEN you will likely have problems with shared diseases.

It's alot like the first week of school. Everyone is healthy at home but once you take 50 kids from different homes and let them play together some of them are going to get sick.​

Quote:
It's alot like the first week of school. Everyone is healthy at home but once you take 50 kids from different homes and let them play together some of them are going to get sick.

Very good analogy! Thank you! Yes, that is my theory, exactly.
thumbsup.gif

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
It's alot like the first week of school. Everyone is healthy at home but once you take 50 kids from different homes and let them play together some of them are going to get sick.

Very good analogy! Thank you! Yes, that is my theory, exactly.
thumbsup.gif

makes sense

Back
Top Bottom