chicks are eating pine shavings

shaggy

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Orange, Texas
i was doing the newspaper thing for about a week --- i got tired of cleaning it every day --- so i went and got some pine shavings to cover the bottom of the brooder

they are eating it ... will they be fine?

I usually line the brooder with PINE shavings and many layers of paper towels on top. Then I remove a layer of paper towels each day, and by the time the last layer is gone they know where the real food is. About a week.

Cedar shavings emit aromatics that can be toxic to chicks- don't use them, too risky.

Use the small animal pine shavings. My chicks always seem to eat the shavings in the beginning. Then they find the real food and the bowl and the waterer. I have lost one chick due to this. You would think they would figure it out quickly, but NOOO.

Oh boy...who ever has the cedar shavings should remove it asap or you will have some dead chickens very soon
sad.png

Mine all ate LOTS of pine shavings and they are all still ok today
big_smile.png
It won't hurt them.

yes, I've been PMed and told on another thread. I had no idea and have been all over this site for months, if it's not stickied somewhere it should be... lucky for me they've been on it for a week and everyone seems fine... hope they stay that way/ THEY ARE IN HAY NOW! thanks SSSOOO much for the quick response guys! I'll have to name one of them cedar LOL

Are you actually seeing them pick up the shavings AND swallow or just pick them up? Mine picked up the shavings sure, but they spit them back out.
Chicks pick up everything in their beaks. That's how they figure out what's food and what's not. Just like human babies, everything has to be taste tested first.

Back
Top Bottom