Chicks are home! First timer

ChicksOnTheHill

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
Bristol, NY
Just got home and got the chicks situated. We ended up getting 10 white Cornish rocks, 3 Rhode Island Red hens, and 2 polish hens. The Cornish rocks are about 2 weeks old, the reds are about a month and the polish are about a month and a half. I hope these cages work well until I get the big pens and outdoor run finished. The birds seem to be very healthy and happy already. This is our first time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is a positive experience for my family. Wish me luck!

Thanks. I have boards cut to lay on top of the ladder openings if I don't want them mingeling. They seem happy in their and its closed up well so shouldn't have any problems with other animals.

I have one but I'm not using it. My poultry dealer said i don't need one because the chicks are old enough. The youngest are 2 weeks and they seem perfectly happy without it so far. Everyone is very active today, they all seem to be more comfortable than yesterday. Eating and drinking well. I've given them a few little pieces of apple and pears and its funny to watch them carry it around and chase eachother. Working on the indoor coop today, should just about get it finished. Im using a 10x12 horse stall and putting chicken wire down the middle to keep the meat birds seperate from the hens. i have a seperate door into each half to make feeding, watering, cleaning easier. i think i'll hang a light on each side and put them on their own timers over on the wall. The outdoor run is next.

Thanks! It's working great except for the doors swing up. I'm going to reverse them to make them swing down. It will make it easier to get at everything. My wife and son were able to hold 2 of the hens today and they both just sat in their laps and relaxed.

Back
Top Bottom