Chicks aren't laying - help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kirchy, Oct 3, 2010.

1. kirchy

kirchy New Egg

Oct 3, 2010
    My 2 chickens are about 6 months old and still no eggs. We have had some stress in the coop (leader was killed a little more than a month ago) and a new chicken was added (to replace what we figured out was a rooster) about 3 months ago.

Any advice is welcome...

Thanks!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Stress can really affect them laying. Maybe give them a little time.

Missi

3. Lady_Cluck

Lady_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have eight 6-month-old chickens (4 marans and 4 wyandottes) ... and not a single egg. They'll hold out until they're good and ready. [​IMG]

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 six month old Buff Orpingtons that have not laid yet. Three have laid but not daily. Being a chicken farmer takes a lot of patience! Sit back and enjoy them and they will reward you.

5. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    I wouldn't worry. I have two RIRs, two BOs, and two EEs, and they all didn't start laying until they were seven months. If their combs are red, if their lives are stress-free, and if they're scoping out the nest boxes, I bet you will get one soon.

And if they free range, check around the yard to make sure they haven't been laying secretly underneath the bushes and whatnot!

6. kirchy

kirchy New Egg

Oct 3, 2010
    Thanks all! I will shoulder on with the waiting (and maybe stop threatening them with the pot... kidding...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by