Chicks Arrived Today!

zackcrack

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2016
I went and got my chicks today from the post office. Murray McMurray did an OUTSTANDING job with the entire process. I ordered the following:
- 16 Salmon Faverolles pullets
- 6 Salmon Faverolles cockerels
- 2 Black Jersey Giant pullets
- 2 Turken pullets
- 1 Dominique pullet
ALL VACCINATED for MAREK'S and COCCIDIOSIS

I got all of the above plus an extra SF cockerel and my free rare exotic chick. The best part; all 29 chicks made it! McMurray included two heat packs, as well. The chicks are in a 40F room with three (soon to be four) heat lamps with a 250W bulb each, about 18-24" off of the ground. the chicks are on pine shaving covered with puppy pads and have access to two strip feeders, 3 one-quart water containers with pure water, one one-gallon water container with probiotics and electrolytes, one one-gallon water container with quik chik, and a dish of warm gro-gel.

My only concern is that about 15-20 of my 29 chicks had dried waste clogging their vents and/or the area around. I spent an hour or so cleaning off every affected chick's vent with lukewarm water and paper towels. Anything else I should do for this problem? Additionally, one of the chicks has a gunk-like discharge draining from one of its eyes. It's the consistency of mucus and clear-ish in color. What should I do about this?

Thank you all!

I went and got my chicks today from the post office. Murray McMurray did an OUTSTANDING job with the entire process. I ordered the following:
- 16 Salmon Faverolles pullets
- 6 Salmon Faverolles cockerels
- 2 Black Jersey Giant pullets
- 2 Turken pullets
- 1 Dominique pullet
ALL VACCINATED for MAREK'S and COCCIDIOSIS

I got all of the above plus an extra SF cockerel and my free rare exotic chick. The best part; all 29 chicks made it! McMurray included two heat packs, as well. The chicks are in a 40F room with three (soon to be four) heat lamps with a 250W bulb each, about 18-24" off of the ground. the chicks are on pine shaving covered with puppy pads and have access to two strip feeders, 3 one-quart water containers with pure water, one one-gallon water container with probiotics and electrolytes, one one-gallon water container with quik chik, and a dish of warm gro-gel.

My only concern is that about 15-20 of my 29 chicks had dried waste clogging their vents and/or the area around.Pasty butt. Type this into the advanced search box at the top of this page and many threads/posts will come up. I spent an hour or so cleaning off every affected chick's vent with lukewarm water and paper towels. Anything else I should do for this problem? Additionally, one of the chicks has a gunk-like discharge draining from one of its eyes. It's the consistency of mucus and clear-ish in color. What should I do about this?

Thank you all!

Shipping stress. Keep the vents clean, make sure everybody gets a dose of that electrolyte/probiotic mixture, and hopefully it will resolve itself once they settle in.

Keep the gunky eye cleaned out (wet soft cloth--don't touch eyeball with it). See if it too resolves with time...may have just gotten poked in the eye or a bit of something caught under a lid.

Back
Top Bottom