Chicks being held

AlexEve

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Hello
I try to hold my 9 week old chicks at least twice a day so they get familiarized with me as much as possible. However, I have to chase them around the coop, even when squatting down to their level, to catch one to hold him/her. Once I’ve grabbed one, they’re perfectly content hanging out on my legs and will hop off if they want to leave. They especially like hanging out on my legs when they’re both there. Why do they run away but are perfectly content when being held?

Do you offer them treats? A way to a chicken’s heart is through its stomach! Also, have you had them since they were hatchlings? And some breeds of chickens are a little flightier than others. But too I’ve read they go through an awkward teenage phase that they can act in this manner as well. Just be patient and consistent. And remember they are animals, prey animals with a tendency to flee from anything bigger than they are. Good luck!

They're just not that into you. I have some of the wildest birds on the planet and I can never touch one during the day. But once I pick one off the roost, they are relatively calm. However, that works better at dusk. Doing so before dawn they scream bloody murder.
Chasing them around the coop will make matters worse.

I would not chase them. Just sit with them, dropping some treats near your feet and when they come to get the treats, you can show them that there is still some more in your hand. Move slowly so they will not get scared and be patient.
I’ve fed them yogurt before which they really like. I just dipped my finger in some and sat in the run and they came running! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom