Chicks Bottom Part of Beak Severely Dislocated

mtnviewfarms

Songster
11 Years
Jan 30, 2011
North GA Mountains - Ellijay
Hello All - Have never had this happen in the 5 years I've been hatching and growing out 100's
of chicks.

One of our hatchlings, now 5 weeks old and thriving, but has a badly dislocated bottom part of his beak that juts out at a 35 degree angle under his upper beak.

He was perfect when he hatched and we did not even notice the problem until about a week and a half ago, when he was 3 1/2 week old.

He has adapted well to his impediment and seems to eat and drink without much difficulty. I am growing out 130 chicks - all the same age - and I spend several hours per day in their chicken house observing all of them.

I've seen a few times when another chick will peck at his oddly 'protruding' bottom beak and it is very shocking to see at first but now we just think it makes him more 'special' in a good way. He is very adept at taking care of himself and not 'taking any guff' from his housemates.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? We kept all of the chicks in our home for the first 2 1/2 weeks under very close scrutiny for pasty butt and/or any other abnormalities that would require our intervention and attention but his beak was perfectly normal at that time.

When I first noticed it I tried to gently as possible to 'reposition' it - thinking that a tendon or something might have made this happen and I could get it to go back into position but it did not
have any effect.

Ideas or comments welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
This sounds like scissor beak. They grow ok, for the first few weeks, to, months. After that, unless you separate and give "special" feed, that they are able to eat in sufficient quantities to grow and maintain weight, they don't do well.
I raise one to a few weeks of age, but culled it, when I saw it was going to eventually starve, without help

Back
Top Bottom