Chicks come tomorrow...Q re temp

black_fx_35

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I have a question regarding temperature. How important is it to have 95 degrees the first week? I have 90 degrees with a lightbulb, but can't seem to rig the light to sit a few inches lower to get up to 95 degrees at the surface. I have 8 (hopefully) coming, so will they be able to help keep each other warm??? Thanks!

I never start out brooding my chicks at 95-I always start at 90.
If they do get cold, they will cuddle up together, but I have never had an issue with starting out at 90.
Good luck!

I think the 95 degree standard is a model, not a Bible. As long as there is enough room for all your chicks to get under the light and snuggle together they should be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and reassurance. Shouldn't be any drafts as they will be in a bedroom in the house, and I have close and taped over the ac vent. Will keep a window open for fresh air, but should be good otherwise. Thanks again! Wish me luck.....first time for this!

What wattage bulb are you using? The last shipment of babies I started with a 100 watt bulb hung down low, then moved it up. Next week I switched to 75 watts. I'm sure you get the picture.

I also had to sheets of aluminum for covers. I think they are called disposable oven liners. (I've used them in the past for transporting decorated cakes. Lots of uses for those suckers.) At any rate, I also covered or uncovered as needed. You would probably have said I was going overboard on checking the temperatures, but I lost a couple of chicks due to shipping stress and I was really worried about them.

I kept two thermometers in the brooder. One was located under the light, the other near the food. Sleeping on top of the thermometer was the "goody spot". Everybody wanted to sleep on it, lol. Right under the light I got my target temperature. The other end I couldn't get above 85 degrees, but they didn't seem to mind. They didn't shiver or anything while they were eating and drinking. When they got done pigging out, they would flop under the light. Up until this past week, my house air conditioner was doing a good job of keeping the house at 78 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom