Chicks Coming on Tuesday! Last min questions

first time farmer

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
New Hampshire
So my chicks are coming on tuesday. I am so nervous. I have some last min questions. 1. What tome do chicks usually arrive at the P.O.

I am sure I will have more questions later so i will post them as they come to me,

Thanks

Go to your local Post office today and talk with them and have them call you just as soon as your chicks arrive. They will be able to inform you of a time then. Good luck with your new babies. If you have any more questions, ask away.

My post office calls as soon as they get them off the truck! They are usually cold and hungry and screaming so loud that the postal people will be so glad to see you that they will be willing to run and meet you at your vehicle in the parking lot! Early...6:30 here.
They quiet down to normal levels once they get food, water and warmth. Have the brooder box warming and all set up while you run to get them! And congratulations....
clap.gif

My post office called me at 0600. That's the norm here. They want you to get them right away. Open the box and make sure they are all alive and well BEFORE you leave and have the hatchery number with you in case they are not well so you can call them from the PO. Mine were great. All 65 alive and peeping. We got ours last Monday.

It depends. Some people get calls as early as 3 a.m. and others later.

Go to the P.O. today and let them know that you will have chicks arriving in the morning and to call you as soon as they get in.

You also need to make sure you get your brooder all set up and ready so you will be able to put them right in once you get home. You will be happy it was all ready if you get that call at 3 a.m.
wink.png

I got the call early here in VT... Tom called me at 5:30am and said "I think your package is here" and held out the phone. It sounded like 100 chickens instead of 25 LOL!

OK another question lol The digital thermometer says 108 and it is right under the light. They way I figure it away from the light it would be the right temp. Please correct me if i am wrong.

I went on Friday before the Monday we were to have chicks and gave them a post card with my phone number and name on it and that they could call me at any time. I got a call on Saturday at 6 AM. My postal clerk told me that the truck arrives from the cities at 6 so they were pretty prompt. I have a very small post office.

Back
Top Bottom