Chicks correct their legs problems?

Hobbley_Farm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Pilot Mountain, NC
ok ok ok...I know most of you would have handled this differently. But I had a chick who's leg was all twisted around and it's foot was bent under and it was walking on the front of it's ankle so to speak. I posted trying to figure out what I could do for it, but couldn't get my mind around it. The chick was otherwise doing very well. In the bin that I have it's hatch mates in, it would hobble around and make it to the water and feed just fine. This morning when I woke up and went to refresh the water, it came over standing on it's leg like normal! I haven't seen it stand like that not ONCE! So it seems like it somehow figured out how to walk on it's leg all by it'self?

I was starting to wonder if I needed to cull it but it seemed so healthy otherwise.

I had already found a "home" for it because I know a lady who takes in chickens who have deformities. lol...I was just waiting to make sure it got feathered out and strong before I gave it to her.

Well... now it's just a regular ole chick. (I may still give it to her since I promised her this chick) But gosh, I haven't read anyone else having a chick to correct it's bent legs! Is this normal?

My Faverolle didn't have a bent leg, but it wouldn't/couldn't walk.

It wouldn't put any weight on its right leg and developed a bubble or mass on the outside of the leg joint (knee?). I was going to kill but DD asked me to let it be cause it was making its way to the food and water. I just left it go, thinking for sure I would find a dead chick in the cage one day, but nope, it is out in the outside brooder with all the other ones now, running around like normal. That is the second chick I was going to cull that DD saved.

My situation was similar to SunAngel's. I had a chick that wouldn't walk on one leg. I checked him out and found no break or obvious injury so just let him be. He was eating and drinking well, getting around on one leg and the chicks weren't picking on him. After about 5 days, he is starting to use his leg again. Yay!

I was expecting to have to cull him if it didn't clear up.

I really would like to keep this chick as my mascot "Hobbley". lol! I just can't believe it corrected it's leg! what a trooper! The only reason I held off on culling him was because I had seen people post about chicks who (for one reason or another) only had one leg and got around alright. So I figured it would be possible for him to continue on. It's like a tiny little physician fairy swooped down and corrected his leg in the middle of the night! Amazing!

You guys just had to see it. It was like it was put on wrong, but now is "fine". weird
idunno.gif

I have GOT to get a camera that is easy to upload pics for stuff like this!

Back
Top Bottom