Chicks did not absorb the yolk one hatched

Basil Gray

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
I have not have any luck with artificial incubators and this year is so far the worst
I had 27 standard backyard mixed eggs in it. All the eggs were suppose to hatch on April 11, but nothing happened so on Tuesday I cracked all the eggs open except the one egg that I put in one week later (it was suppose to hatch tomorrow, but that did not happen) What I found with the other chicks they developed, but they did not absorb all the yolk (some more than others but they all looked about 2 or 3 days out). Of 9 eggs that could have hatched (yeah I said my hatch rate with an incubator sucks. the other 18 died earlier when I checked 2 times for candling) 4 or 5 of the chicks broke through the membrane of the egg, but not the shell.
Last night the last egg cheaped all night long (really loud) and because I want (need) something to hatch I said screw the rule of not helping out chicks and pulled the shell off of some of the egg so all the chick had to do was rip through the membrane (which it was able to do).
Well the chick got out with a large amount of yolk still hanging off the back end of the chick. I held it under a heat lamp and dried it off and got a couple of drops of electrolytes in it. It absorbed about half of the yolk and because I had chores that needed to be done besides hold a chick under a heat lamp and keep it from kicking the yolk it was still absorbing I put it back in the incubator because the yolk was drying off I was hoping the humidity of the incubator would keep it moist enough so it could absorb the rest of it.
I come back to the chick who ripped the yolk and it poured everywhere. Its hard to tell but it was green. If anyone has any idea what was wrong with the chick or the incubator I would appreciate any help. (I would have taken away the shell but the yolk and veins were still connected to it and did not want to risk having the chick bleed to death, but obviously that did not make a difference)

I have not have any luck with artificial incubators and this year is so far the worst
I had 27 standard backyard mixed eggs in it. All the eggs were suppose to hatch on April 11, but nothing happened so on Tuesday I cracked all the eggs open except the one egg that I put in one week later (it was suppose to hatch tomorrow, but that did not happen) What I found with the other chicks they developed, but they did not absorb all the yolk (some more than others but they all looked about 2 or 3 days out). Of 9 eggs that could have hatched (yeah I said my hatch rate with an incubator sucks. the other 18 died earlier when I checked 2 times for candling) 4 or 5 of the chicks broke through the membrane of the egg, but not the shell.
Last night the last egg cheaped all night long (really loud) and because I want (need) something to hatch I said screw the rule of not helping out chicks and pulled the shell off of some of the egg so all the chick had to do was rip through the membrane (which it was able to do).
Well the chick got out with a large amount of yolk still hanging off the back end of the chick. I held it under a heat lamp and dried it off and got a couple of drops of electrolytes in it. It absorbed about half of the yolk and because I had chores that needed to be done besides hold a chick under a heat lamp and keep it from kicking the yolk it was still absorbing I put it back in the incubator because the yolk was drying off I was hoping the humidity of the incubator would keep it moist enough so it could absorb the rest of it.
I come back to the chick who ripped the yolk and it poured everywhere. Its hard to tell but it was green. If anyone has any idea what was wrong with the chick or the incubator I would appreciate any help. (I would have taken away the shell but the yolk and veins were still connected to it and did not want to risk having the chick bleed to death, but obviously that did not make a difference)
Once the yolk ruptures, there's not much you can do. Add that to the fact that the veins are still very prevelant and death is almost a certainty. He was no where ready to hatch.
sad.png

What kind of incubator are you using? Have your thermometers/hygrometer been checked for accuracy and what are using for humidity percentages 1-17 and lockdown/hatch?

Have a little giant
as for thermometer accuracy I have walked around with it holding it up to the 6 other thermometers in the house and they all say the same thing.
I had a sponge that every other day I added some more hot water to it. right before lockdown I filled the sponge up so it would have enough moisture to get through 3 or 4 days

Back
Top Bottom