chicks died suddenly....what happened?

chickencity

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
i bought my chicks from the feed store on tuesday. everyone is healthy and happy but last night i hread some loud peeping which was nothing unusual. it was an hour from the last time i checked them and then found one of my bardrocks dead. she was still warm and had no signs of injuries she was not wet but had a pool of clear liquid around her beak that felt slimy. her stomach felt a bit like a soft ballon. any ideas of what may have happend?

I have no idea, I have luckily never lost a chick. Sorry to hear of your loss. I thought I would bump this back to the top so maybe you could get an answer. Good luck with the rest of your chicks!!

Some times baby chicks do die for no reason in the first week or so. Don't beat yourself up about it. Could have had something wrong inside, or ate a shaving that got stuck.

Best of luck with the rest!

it could have been the shavings. i was cleaning the bunny cage and thought it would be a good a idea to but some shavings in the broder. they acted like i gave gave them gold lol. they would pick up a peice and then run around with it. but they calmed down after an hour or so of playing with them. i didn't put any in there this moring.

the shavings are aspen. i have two chicks today that had drity bottoms so i moved the light up about an inch or two. they arent huddled under the light or crowding the walls. they are bascailly just all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom