Chicks dieing. Need help!

Tom G

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
Have 15 chicks that I got when they were 3 days old. Different breeds. They are now 6 weeks old. All doing well in their breeder this morning. Nothing unusual. This evening I found 8 dead chicks and others that act like they on on their way. Whats going on? Nothing has changed. Water and food the same. Keep brooder extremely clean. Have booder in the house with temp at 85 to 90 degrees.

They are droping like flies. Looks like they will all be lost. The ones left are breathing very hard.

Last edited:
At six weeks old they shouldn't have a brooder that hot. You are suppose to drop the temp 5 degrees each week. This could be coccidiosis. What if anything were they vaccinated for? Do you feed medicated feed?

Have 15 chicks that I got when they were 3 days old. Different breeds. They are now 6 weeks old. All doing well in their breeder this morning. Nothing unusual. This evening I found 8 dead chicks and others that act like they on on their way. Whats going on? Nothing has changed. Water and food the same. Keep brooder extremely clean. Have booder in the house with temp at 85 to 90 degrees.

85 to 90* is way too hot for 6 week olds! They are good at 70* now. Go turn that lamp off and give every one a cool drink of water! Let us know if that helps! Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif

did you switch light bulbs? Teflon coated bulbs will outgas carbon monoxide which kills chickens. They could use some nutritional supplement. Problem is when they get this compromised, their ability to uptake helps from the G.I. tract is quite compromised. I use Poultry Nutri-Drench or Goat Nutri-Drench and give them one drop each by mouth. Follow that by 1 more drop per bird by mouth every 8 to 10 hours as needed. Now put 2-4 ml. of Drench per gallon in their water for a week. Should look the color of very weak tea. The Drenches are very concentrated and don't need to be digested. They mainline directly into the bloodstream. 50% uptake in 30 minutes. 99% utilization. I raised the whole of last seasons chicks on the Goat Drench using the poultry usage and dosage instructions. Got it in their water for the first 3 weeks of life. They did great!
Here I get mine at Tractor Supply Company. Or try your local feed store. here's where to learn more about the products. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
Best Regards,
Karen in western PA, USA

Back
Top Bottom