Chicks divide into groups?

chicknerd

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
NH
Hi

My chicks are older, into their teens, and I have noticed a behavior I have not seen mentioned. They are definitely divided into two groups I call Company A and Company B. Company A consists of the 6 higher ranking girls. They are the first to everything. Company B are the 5 lower ranked pullets and wait or go to a secondary area for treats, foraging, etc.

If Company A is in one area of the run Company B generally will stay away. If Company B is at the feeder and Company A comes in, Company B will leave. If I come in with treats Company A will run foward. Company B waits in the back.

Is this typical? I know there is a pecking order but I find this division to be interesting.

Company A, roosts at night.
Company B still sleeps huddled on the floor. I am wondering if I need a second roost for them to call their own?

I have the same thing going on with my pullets. There are two definite groups within the seven of them. They do all sleep on the roost. One group on the left side and the other on the right. Reminds me of a bunch of high school girls.
D.gif

No question the exact same thing is happening with my 3 month old pullets. I have one group of 7 that are the lead/dominate (they are a variety of standard breeds--Welsummer, BR, RIR, EE etc) and a second group that consists of three standards (all RIR) and eight bantams--all pullets. I do have one roo and of course he hangs with the lead group, but I expect that soon he will be interested in at least the three larger ones in the second group and I am looking for him to heard them all together--so far this hasnt happened. They live in a large tractor and free range all day. No matter when I check on them they are in those two groups. they go to bed at different times (the alpha group always first) and head to different places all day long. There are some places that only the alpha group goes like my back porch. I am new to chicken and I assume that this is normal behavior--but thank you for your post--I too am looking to hear what other more experinced chicken people have to say.

We have the 2 "companies" as well, but with a twist. I have a total of 46 ranging in age from 13 to 15 weeks. 30 are BO (12 roos, 18 pullets) 9 RSL roos, 1 Cuckoo Marans roo and 6 EE pullets. The Cuckoo Marans roo is at the bottom of the pecking order of Company A which consists of everyone but the EEs. Company B is only the EEs. The EEs will eventually push in with Company A for treats IF there are a lot of treats, but if I only have a few morsels, they won't even try. I always wondered if they can tell the difference between breeds.

Back
Top Bottom