Chicks drinking only water and pooping only water!!

bockbockchicken

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hello, so I just got 2 chicks today from a feed store (they were shipped to the feed store) and I believe they were hatched 3 days ago. So I brought them home and put them in a brooder and I made an electrolyte solution for their water and they have been drinking it non stop. Their poop is just straight water with the occasional green poop mixed in. Is this normal?? help

Younger chicks do have a watery green poo at times, did you show them their food? What are you giving them they should have chick feed only at that age..
Pictures of:
Setup, poo, will help

Also at three days they may not want food just yet but should start wanting very soon

Younger chicks do have a watery green poo at times, did you show them their food? What are you giving them they should have chick feed only at that age..
Pictures of:
Setup, poo, will help

Also at three days they may not want food just yet but should start wanting very soon
I just swapped the electrolyte water for regular water. They were eating some of their food earlier but it looks like they just peck at it. They have blue seal starter chick feed. In the pictures, the water spots are their poop.

Attachments

• IMG-7872.jpg
    IMG-7872.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-7879.jpg
    IMG-7879.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-7880.jpg
    IMG-7880.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-7881.jpg
    IMG-7881.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 7
If you just got them, it’s likely they are stressed and haven’t eaten much. I’m sure they are fine. They look content. I would just monitor them and maybe sprinkle some food on the brooder bottom around feeder if you are having trouble with them finding the food. But chances are they are more tired than hungry. Water is a good sign. It’s what they need most, if stressed.

It looks like you're using a heat lamp Am I correct?
Can you put a thermometer down there on the floor of your container and tell me how hot it's reading?

I think they might be drinking an excessive amount of water because they are too hot.

It looks like you're using a heat lamp Am I correct?
Can you put a thermometer down there on the floor of your container and tell me how hot it's reading?

I think they might be drinking an excessive amount of water because they are too hot.
Looks to me that she has the lamp to one side and they are self regulating. Because they would either be right under if cold or further away if hot. They are right in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom