Chicks Dropping Like Flies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenFanatic447, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Cocci infections in young chicks can be deadly and cause a number of neurological symptoms. The cocci affect the cells lining the intestine where nutrients are absorbed. Depletion of certain nutrients lead to the neuro problems, including the seizure like activity. Good Luck.

3. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Anyway I can save them..? They are our first flock and I've loved chickens sense I was young. Me and my brother saved up all our money to get a nice brooder/get the chicks we wanted/get the coop and a bunch of feed. It is upsetting that they are all dropping like flies.

Can you link me to where you found information on it? I can't find any treatments online.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You usually use Sulmet for cocci don't you? Anyway, how did you get the idea they have cocci now? It wouldn't hurt to treat with Sulmet. I see no reason why you shouldn't try to save them.

5. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    It seems to be the most realistic at this point, I'll try getting that in the morning I guess. Any ideas as to what may be wrong? The link to all the details is at the top, I know it is a hassle to read through it, but any help is appreciated. I can't lose any more chicks.

6. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    You see cocci is a digestive problem and you say your chicks are sneezing and gasping and convulsing some which doesn't sound anything like cocci. I wonder if you should be using antibiotic and Sav-A-Chick or something? You are feeding them chick starter, right, because that has antibiotics. What if per chance it's a bad batch of food. Maybe you should buy a fresh bag.

7. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    I already opened a fresh bag and replaced the feed just to be safe. I made a make-shift brooder which is terrible let me add for the night for my Buff Brahma chick and am hoping that she will make it until the morning when I can get some things to help her.

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Good, yes, keep her nice and warm. Are they eating and drinking? If you have any gatorade in the house you can add a splash of that to the water. You could take a dropper and just do a few drops on top the beak (avoiding the nostrils). See if she'll sip any in.

9. ChickenFanatic447

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    I unfortunately don't have a dropper or any gatorade.. It is 80 degrees out right now and she is 3 days old and I have her makeshift brooder lined heavily with towels so I'm guessing she is just slightly cold right now, but it's the best I can do. She refuses to eat or drink which is upsetting and hasn't opened her eyes in the past 2-3 hours for over a few second.

Update: I dipped her beak in water and she drank a little, but it came out of her mouth quickly and had a huge dry heave..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Hey I just ran across something interesting. The second post in this thread says "Do they lift up their heads until they flip themselves over onto their backs? if so, they could be star-gazers. It's caused by a deficiency of a trace element in the food the parents were eating." Another poster says "Star gazing is caused by a Vitamin B1(Thiamin) deficiency."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=488912&p=1

Check the label on Sav-A-Chick but I believe that is exactly what this is for. If you can't get that, get the liquid baby vitamin Poly-Vi-Sol (without the Iron in it).

So maybe look at the Star-Gazer angle.

In summary, definitely do the vitamins, one or the other mentioned above. If you're still thinking cocci, I guess pick up Sulmet just to have it on hand. In my recollection, little chicks don't have very solid poop though so I'm not sure it's necessary although I don't think it will hurt. The problem is right now to just get them eating and drinking.

TONIGHT how about adding a little sugar to some water and using it in a dropper? If you happen to have some cherry jello or some other flavoring similar, a pinch of that. But sugar should be enticing enough. Something tasty. And the sugar will give energy.

Oh here's something else you can do tonight, if you have any B complex vitamin, shave off a piece, grind it up and add that to the sugar water. It would be really good to get that B vitamin started tonight if you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by