Chicks during a thunderstorm???

Quote:

Hey, we're in CT too!!!! What part of the state are you in? We're in Colchester and the storm started around 5ish. It got pretty dark here. I kept looking down at the coop/run and the chicks were still playing around outside under the covered part. They made it through their first storm
clap.gif

We're in the Guilford/Madison area. It didn't get dark round here at all!!! My chickens love the rain, but go in when needed to.
Ok... this may sounds like a total greenhorn question and I kinda feel silly for asking, but rather safe than sorry, right? So, we're having a thunderstorm for the first time since I've owned chicks. They're currently outside in their coop/run. Do I need to make sure they're in their coop? You know how the weather station always posts warnings and such. I was wondering if I need to do anything special for my girls to keep them safe during a severe thunderstorm. I'm sure this sounds so goofy to be asking....
hide.gif
My chickens are 1 year old. They don't mind bad weather. They perch outside the coop even in freezing rain. If it's really bad they will go inside or maybe stand under the boat. It's going to get bad tonight and hail. I really want to know if they will go inside in the middle of the night because in my experience after they've gotten still for the night they don't move again. But I've stopped stepping in and putting them up. I'll find out soon enough if they will seek safety during the night.

My five and a half week old chicks are enduring their first thunderstorm in the coop. Of course I was worried about them so I came on BYC to find out if they would be okay, and y'all didn't let me down! They were terrified at first and all trying to pile up in one corner chirping frantically, but they soon found their perch and have quieted down.

As did their mama, after being reassured they would be scared but they'd get over it!

I'm so thankful you asked about this! My chickies are about to go through their first storm coming in a few days and I'm already nervous for them! I don't want them to be afraid..I'm so thankful for all the responses that storms don't seem to bother chicks ♥️

Back
Top Bottom