Chicks dying a few days after hatch

bottoms weren't pasted over?
No, no fluids coming out of them, no pasty butt. This is why I think it must have something to do with the temp loss during incubation. As someone said above... possibly organs didnt develop correctly or something. Have never lost a single chick that hatched out before.

About 3 to 4 hours before I got the temp back up to normal.
That's not very long at all. Some of my hens will stay off for an hour or more.

In my experience, I've had several hatches get cold for up to 12 hours and there was no difference in the hatches. I didn't experience more embryo deaths or weak/dead chicks.

One incubation hatch was oopsed and accidentally left off twice all day during harvest. One broodies eggs got down to 43F for approximately 11 hours. She had a 100% hatch rate and all the chicks were healthy.

I don't think that short of a period would be detrimental to the eggs. IF the entire incubation period is kept too cool, then most of the embryos will die in the shell. I've experienced that twice, and it was my mistakes that caused it.

Is there anything else that could have changed from the first hatches to this one? I am wondering along the lines of what Alaskan is thinking.

Last edited:
We had a power outage 2 weeks in to incubation.. I lost a lot of eggs and wasnt sure Id get anything to hatch. I ended up with 10 chicks. One died about 30 hours after hatch.. the other I just found tonight (so about 4 days after). They seemed to be healthy, no issues. Do you think the power outage/loss of temp caused issues with the guys that did hatch? So devastating!
Possibly too cold? Check for vents where you are brooding them

Back
Top Bottom