Chicks dying...advice needed

That sucks. :( OP, you mentioned you live in Qld. Brisbane? Which hatchery did you go through?

I ask because I also live in Brisbane and are looking to get two chicks sometime this week. I guess you can understand that I'd prefer to avoid the same hatchery your girls were from...

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, what a terrible experience. I hope this doesn't deter you from trying again with a new flock. Ask around to other people that have chickens in your area. Go to several hatcheries and feed stores to get as much information and advice as you can. People in my area told me that I might lose one or two but nothing like you experienced (I feel incredibly lucky that all six of my babies grew up to be beautiful, healthy hens with no issues). I wish you better luck with your next flock. Keep us posted.

Hi there, Sorry about your chicks. i think you need to examine very carefully the ones that have died and perhaps ask for a post mortem from your vet.
Also check very carefully the remaining chicks for any symptoms.
One can haphazardly dose for all sorts of things and still be totally wrong.
Take a dead chick and put it in the fridge, wrapped up, until you can get to the vet and get there as soon as possible as any clinical symptoms disappear within 24 hours.
Your problem is either genetic bacterial or viral.
Either way, you do need to act now so that you dont lose the rest.
Kind regards, Martine
ps be careful dosing with Amprol.
For young birds, it is poison no matter what the manufacturers tell you.
How do you figure that Amprol is poison? Amprol (amprolium) is simply a thiamin blocker. It prevents the cocci protozoa from absorbing enough thiamin to survive and reproduce. In the short amount of time it is used to treat coccidiosis, a 5 to 7 day course, it basically has extremely little to no effect on chicks other then clearing up the overgrowth of cocci. It also has a very wide margin of safety in dosing. When it is included in a medicated feed it is present in very low levels. Which is exactly why chicks can still come down with a case of coccidiosis while on medicated feed. Therefore the value of medicated feed is questionable. However I totally disagree with calling a very valuable tool for treating coccidiosis "poison" and possibly lead someone less informed to decide not to use it and potentially loose chicks over something so easily treated.

I had one chick die on the second day he came to my house and I think he froze in the basement. It was sad. I've never had a chick with "pasty butt" so sorry! Did the place where you bought the chicks ship it to you? Sometimes that's the problem. When the get shipped some catch a sickness. Hope I helped!
smile.png

That sucks.
sad.png
OP, you mentioned you live in Qld. Brisbane? Which hatchery did you go through?

I ask because I also live in Brisbane and are looking to get two chicks sometime this week. I guess you can understand that I'd prefer to avoid the same hatchery your girls were from...
Yes, we live in Jimboomba, out near Beaudesert (still working in Annerley...go figure). We bought them from Heritage Hatching and Hens. And, despite all of this, I would probably still purchase chickens through them again. They told us that they had lost 16 chicks in one night. They're keeping the chicks we took back separate to see what is happening with them, and if any more of them die will be sending them off for an autopsy to confirm. Rob and Sarah own Heritage and really have been very helpful. They've been running since the 1940s (family business) and seem to know their stuff.

I'm so sorry, what a terrible experience. I hope this doesn't deter you from trying again with a new flock. Ask around to other people that have chickens in your area. Go to several hatcheries and feed stores to get as much information and advice as you can. People in my area told me that I might lose one or two but nothing like you experienced (I feel incredibly lucky that all six of my babies grew up to be beautiful, healthy hens with no issues). I wish you better luck with your next flock. Keep us posted.

Thanks aliciasimon. My partner and I are going to start on our coop this weekend and when it's finished will look at 4 month old hens and potentially one rooster. I'm hoping that eventually one of them may go broody and we will let her hatch her chicks. Thanks for the encouragement though :)

I had one chick die on the second day he came to my house and I think he froze in the basement. It was sad. I've never had a chick with "pasty butt" so sorry! Did the place where you bought the chicks ship it to you? Sometimes that's the problem. When the get shipped some catch a sickness. Hope I helped!
smile.png

Hi ownerof7chicks. We actually went to the hatchery and drove them home with us. Is only about a 20 minute drive or so :)

That's one of the ones I was considering going through. Hm. May still give it a look-see yet.

I know Rochedale Produce are getting some day-olds in on Thursday, if you were still interested in starting that young. Hopefully next time things are a bit smoother for you!

Some one replied to my post about AMPROLIUM being poison and I cant find the post.
Here is the information, and no, I dont expect every one to stand in awe at this or to destroy all the amprol feed in their yard. It is ENTIRELY your choice.
Amprolium, or Amprol is poison for chicks because it has been like everything else over used.
It destroys any and all immunity the chicks have naturally from the parent stock and all vaccinations given to the parent stock.
It inhibits natural reaction to any vaccine that you give, and destroys any and all vitamins and minerals in the system.
It did not use to be this way but our over use of this product, the lack of information out there for us to make our own decisions on the subject, general ignorance as to what we should be using, and also economics...there are people who stand to gain by our using this crap, all have contributed to a real problem.
People are now moving away from things like amprolium and using probiotics to boost immune systems...then you dont get cocci or anything else, PROVIDING your bedding and brooders are clean, dry and chicks are not standing in their own faeces.
I have studied this, I have proved it myself, I have also proved it over nearly 20 years experience with show poultry.
I have also proved that ducklings fed amprol DIE.
So much for a "harmless" product?
Coccidiosis need never be an issue anyway if people would remember it is an organism, a parasite that lives in anaerobic conditions: No oxygen, and wet conditions is ideal. So make sure your conditions are aerobic, well cleaned, dry at all times. M

Well that's good! That's what we did! Maybe he had some sort of sickness or wasn't eating properly? Just glad you drove them back to your house!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom