Chicks dying left and right! PLEASE HELP!!!

AidKD

🥺👉👈💕
Premium Feather Member
Jul 6, 2020
Porcupine peak
I've posted about this before. My meat bird chicks will be running around fine one day, and then the next I'll walk out to their chicken tractor and 3 of them will be dead. They're around 4-5 weeks and I got them from the Meyer hatchery. I have 15 more regular ones that I hatched and they have been perfectly healthy. First, they will start acting very lethargic, then within minutes they start having a seizure, stretching their necks and rocking back and forth, then they die. I really don't think that it's coccidiosis, but I'm going to start treatment for it tomorrow along with sterilizing everything. I move their tractor every day, they have fresh, clean water to drink with some vitamin type things I add in, and they get fed in the morning and evening. They have almost completely feathered in and have a shelter to go to in the evening. I isolate any that even might have the slightest, smallest possibility of not feeling well. They have been doing this since day 1. I think I've lost around 10 from this and I'm at my wit's end. Any advice at all would be so so so very appreciated. I can't keep losing them like this.

What are you feeding them?
Edit: could there be anything at all they could be eating that's toxic?
They get meat bird feed from a local feed supplyer. I give my full grown chickens feed from him and my other 15, so I don't think that that's a problem for them. As for anything toxic, I don't think so. My yard has just the typical grass and weeds And it makes me think not also because they've been dying like this since I first got them. Thank you so much for responding!

I have been having the same issue with my meat birds. I also got them from meyers hatchery. I started with 50 now I am down to only 28. They are currently healthy seeming but I dont know if they are okay to butcher and consume still. Vet hasnt given me any guidance, nobody seems to really know what is wrong with them. SOOOO FRUSTRATING

I have been having the same issue with my meat birds. I also got them from meyers hatchery. I started with 50 now I am down to only 28. They are currently healthy seeming but I dont know if they are okay to butcher and consume still. Vet hasnt given me any guidance, nobody seems to really know what is wrong with them. SOOOO FRUSTRATING
It is so frustrating!! After it happened to me I went to McMurray to buy chicks. Those ones are doing much better. I went ahead and butchered the ones from Meyer and they were good to eat.

I had some baby turkeys sit outside in the rain all night even though they had a nice big shelter to go in. I think we lost like 5 of them. Could the same thing have happened to you?

Back
Top Bottom