chicks dying one by one

Quote:
Baby chicks can go 72 hrs without food or water that is why they are able to be shipped. Even when I hatch my own I dont give them food or water for at least 48 hours. I just let them adjust to temp of brooder and sleep. I did the same when I picked up chicks this week. If they are lethagic its probally due to not being warm enough. check the temp in brooder with a thermomter.

So thankful for my Post Office ladies! They asked for an alternative number just in case - so they called my Dad when I couldn't answer (was in Dr. appt) ~ AND they kept my babies warm... even snuck a look inside to make sure everyone was well and stuck a little bottle cap of water in. I know, I know they aren't supposed to, but they are good folks, just looking out for baby critters!

I'm so sorry you've had bad luck. I have never ordered from MPC. I have used Murray McMurray and when I did my main post office in Huntington called (40 miles away) because they came in on Sunday. They called everyone who's chicks came that way they didn't have to wait. We went and picked them up. My others came from Mt. Healthy, they were shipped on Wed. morning, I expected them Thurs. My Post Office lady called my at 1 pm Wed! They brought them straight to her.

I don't think I have thanked them properly. Those postal workers are getting a box of donuts or something from me this week!!!! Maybe a pizza lunch!

Saying a little prayer that your other babies make it fine. Next time maybe the PO lady can get an alternative number to reach a friend or family member.
hu.gif

Luckky you, we just got some really nice birds from good lines and already 7 have perished... lots of pasty butts, sick little ones and nothing is stopping them from dying off!
I don't think the person will refund us, since it's been 3 days now.

But the weakest ones have died off and all the other 23 are doing really well. They went ape-crap over egg mash! It's been picking up their strength with some sugar water and lots of fruits and warmth. Sometimes it just happens. Shipping can be sooooo stressful. I fought to the end to save the sickies
sad.png

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear your loss. You might want to consider to hatch fertile eggs instead. Trust me it will be more fun and educational specially for the kids.

Last edited:
I got mine on thursday. we've lost 4 so far.
Its pretty common for chicks (not just mail order) to pass during their first week.
Could be stress, breeding problems, sickness, or just weak birds. Are they bantams? Bantams need different feed and are a lot more fragile.
I'm so sorry, I understand!
hit.gif

I too had problems shipping this past week ... BUT ... that's a long story ... as far as your chicks ... i'm not sure this will help you now but I love this stuff:

GroGel™ Plus-B

A great value for newly Hatched and Shipping additive to help insure proper nutritional values during these times of stress.
Comes as a dry powder to mix with water forming a bright shiny green, bite-sized gel that attracts the attention of the chicks. Provides hydration and concentrated nutrients along with beneficial bacteria that helps hatchlings get off to a good start. A 100 dose packet will treat 100 chickens or turkeys, 150-200 pheasants or 350-400 quail. Be sure to ask for this additive on your chick orders!

I had 2 chicks that I was sure where not going to make it! But after every 30 mins offering this to them ... they started to eat it like crazy after just 3 hours! All are fine now! Its hard to watch the little baby's suffer. And, I'm sorry you have to go through this! Maybe next time you order chicks ... it will be when its warmer and you have some of this stuff on hand. I even use it if I have a sick hen or roo!

I get it from this guy ... who is fast to ship it out! Maybe if you email or send him a message ... he can get it in the mail for you ... and you might have it by mid week?
http://blackcreekpoultry.com
Good luck!

Ok here's a new one to me. I ordered 50 cornish bantams from Ideal: 25 blue-laced red and 25 white-laced red. All but one arrived safely. But starting late on the day of their arrival, the white laced started dropping off, just like the other chicks on this thread. None of the blue-laced have shown any signs of sickness at all. I can't stop it, either; I have tried everything I know to pull them through and they just keep dying. HELP!!

Back
Top Bottom