Chicks dying - unknown reason

Enilcita28

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
I'm desperate. My chicks are dying. They are ranging from 17-20 weeks old. I have found 2 dead that were fine the day before and looked healthy. I have older ones and bigger ones, I suspect they are injuring the smaller ones. The deceasedx
20210824_132611.jpg
turn the neck and head all the way to the back. Is it the heat, disease, virus??? Help!! I also noticed the flock in general isnt drinking enough wate

I'm desperate. My chicks are dying. They are ranging from 17-20 weeks old. I have found 2 dead that were fine the day before and looked healthy. I have older ones and bigger ones, I suspect they are injuring the smaller ones. The deceasedxView attachment 2810474 turn the neck and head all the way to the back. Is it the heat, disease, virus??? Help!! I also noticed the flock in general isnt drinking enough wate
What is the temp and humidity like in your area today? Do they have access to shade and air circulation? The heat index here today was 105-110 and I kept my chickens water cold with ice and provided a fan and plenty of shade.

From OP: “The deceased turn the neck and head all the way to the back.”

Are you saying their head and neck are turned, before they die? There is something called Wry Neck that sounds like what you are describing if I understand you correctly.

Do they free range? Could they be getting into something toxic? How about your feed what are you feeding them? Is it moldy? or smell off/sour? Do they have constant access to fresh drinking water? Notice any bloody poops?

I'm desperate. My chicks are dying. They are ranging from 17-20 weeks old. I have found 2 dead that were fine the day before and looked healthy. I have older ones and bigger ones, I suspect they are injuring the smaller ones. The deceasedxView attachment 2810474 turn the neck and head all the way to the back. Is it the heat, disease, virus??? Help!! I also noticed the flock in general isnt drinking enough wate
What do you feed including treats?

How long have you had them?

Where are you located in the world?

Any moldy feed?

You mention the flock is not drinking enough water? How do you give water? What's the housing like?

More info is really needed, but the only way to find the best answer(s) is to refrigerate a body and send it to your state lab https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/4-day-old-chicks-foot-needs-help.1489217/

If they are not drinking enough water - then provide more water stations.

You suspect the older birds are injuring the younger ones - please, house are they housed? How much space? Photos.

• Screenshot_2021-04-23-06-23-45.jpg
    This is our chicken run and coop, space is not an issue. (We have 25 birds, and this is a 20 x 12). We live in the Green Swamp of Florida and it is extremely humid and we get a lot of water, but we have logs around and places where they can keep dry and coop it's kept clean. I've dealt with cocci for that reason and treated with CORID about a month ago and everyone was fine (I lost two chicks, but the rest were ok, considering the flood was REALLY BAD), but I'm just trying to figure out this time if it's a virus so I can provide the right treatment OR if it was the feed I bought from Rural King. We got new feed from a different place this time, so by your input I can assume that it was probably the feed that wasn't good.
  • What can make them feel better? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-23-06-23-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-23-06-23-45.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 10
From OP: “The deceased turn the neck and head all the way to the back.”

Are you saying their head and neck are turned, before they die? There is something called Wry Neck that sounds like what you are describing if I understand you correctly.
I thought it could be wry neck but I looked up info and the chicks were fine the day before, and wry neck can last for days or weeks before they die. The first one I found lethargic and when I picked it up turned the neck and head to its back. I separated it and found it dead the next morning.
That's why I'm leaning more to: it was either the feed or someone bigger is bullying the smaller ones.

What is the temp and humidity like in your area today? Do they have access to shade and air circulation? The heat index here today was 105-110 and I kept my chickens water cold with ice and provided a fan and plenty of shade.
Hi, we are in the Florida Green Swamp, we do get a lot of water. There are a lot factors that I'm aware are affecting the chicks but we have happened to manage. We've dealt with cocci for that reason, too humid and muddy run, but we've managed. The run is starting to dry off (not enough though). However, this time has been different. They ones that died looked healthy the day before. That's why I'm leaning more to bullying from the older/bigger ones or the feed than any virus/disease.

Update: Lost a third chick today, it was quarantined but it didn't make it, she was bad yesterday, not eating or drinking. Hopefully, we don't lose anymore of them. Everyone ate this morning and saw all of them drinking (added electrolytes and probiotics to the water), I hope this helps.

provide the right treatment OR if it was the feed I bought from Rural King. We got new feed from a different place this time, so by your input I can assume that it was probably the feed that wasn't good.
Does your feed look or smell off?

If the feed was bad you would likely have multiple birds sick/expiring all at once, not just one here and there.

Contact you FL state lab to see how to send a body in if you lose another. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

The twisting of the neck can happen quickly - a few common causes of that in birds this age would be Marek's disease, possibly vitamin deficiency or trauma. But you have more than one that has exhibited similar symptoms - so I wouldn't necessarily mark it up to trauma since birds can be attacked in different ways.
Vitamin therapy may be helpful - look for a poultry vitamin that contains B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin E.

IF you do think the feed is a problem, then get rid of it and get a fresh bag. For that many birds with mixed ages, I would provide at least 2 feed stations and 2 water stations - more is often better. More aggressive older birds will often dominate stations and not allow others to eat/drink.

Back
Top Bottom