Chicks dying... what can I do?

I'm not familiar with Sulmet or Corid. How does that work?

Thanks,
Justin

I have some sick chicks, but in addition, the eyes get sick. I have been able to save them by keeping they eyes clean and using antibiotic ointment. As to the heat problem. If the temps the origional writter posted are too hot, I wouldn't ever be able to keep chickens, because the only way to avoid that is to install an AC in the coop. Its that hot here and going to get hotter.

My wife got some durvet vitamin and electrolytes at the feed store yesterday. She mixed some up yesterday and then this morning I dumped it and mixed a fresh batch. I read that it needs to stay fresh. Since you guys think I may have a coccidiosis problem, should I stop the vitamin and electrolytes?

I've been trying to google how much sulmet or corid to give to chicks but I can't find any info. Seems like everything I'm finding is for cattle. I just want to make sure I give the little chicks the proper amount. I'm also wondering how long I need to keep giving it to them.

Thanks again everybody for your help
smile.png

Justin

i dont see cocci' at all.. greenish poop is not bloody poop.. especialy after watching the video on chicks that die from cocci... the video of the chick is heartbreaking and yea ya just want to help this little girl.. have you taken a syringe and forced water and a fine water mash to keep it hydrated and feed. It also seams way feathered enough to not have a heat lamp on it.. having his feathers all puffed out to me would be more of a way of the chick trying to cool itself not get warmer..

good luck )O(
Pink

I had one more chick die yesterday
sad.png
, but it was before we got the Corid. I mixed the Corid up in their water and I made everybody take a few drinks. Then I got some medicated Purina chick starter and I mixed some feed with the water so it would be easier for them to eat. So right now they can either eat dry food or mushy food. We also separated the sick chicks from the more healthy chicks. Everybody is on Corid, but I wanted to separate them so the healthy ones wouldn't run over the sick chicks and kill them. The sick chicks are just setting in one spot and not really moving at all. I'm thinking it's because they are so weak because they haven't been eating or drinking. Two of the sick chicks are very very weak and I was afraid I was going to loose them last night, but they were hanging in there this morning. We are having to hand feed/water the sick chicks every few hours. They aren't wanting to eat so we are having to basically force food into their mouths. I know this may sound mean to say, but it seems like the sick chicks have become brain dead. They just want to set in one spot and when you put food and water in front of them they just keep setting there. Even when we are hand feeding them they aren't acting like they want any more food.

How long does it normally take until they start feeling better? The Corid seems to be working since we haven't lost any more chicks.

My wife and I were talking about it last night and it seems like the sick chicks haven't grown as fast as the first chicks we raised early in the spring. I remember at 4 weeks the other chicks were nearly flying out of the brooder and darting around like crazy, plus they were bigger. But these little guys have kinda just frozen in time. They aren't even using the little roosting perches I made. Whereas the other chicks started using the perches after a week or so. I'm sure it has to do with the parasites getting all the nutrition.

This morning I noticed one of the sick chicks poop and it was really runny. Seems like I remember reading on here somewhere that running poop was a sign of the chick being too hot since the chick is trying to drink more water to stay cool. I really don't think it's too hot in the brooder. I'm assuming it's runny because of the coccidiosis?

This afternoon when I get home I'm going to see if the sick chicks will eat some plain yogurt. During all my reading it seems like yogurt can help clean their gut out. I wonder if I could put a couple drops of Corid in the yogurt?

I'll keep everybody posted.

Thanks,
Justin

One other question I had, since I want to make sure the chicks get the Corid in their system, could I open their mouth and use an eye dropper and give them a drop of the Corid 9.6% ? I know they have a little bit in their system since I'm forcing them to eat and drink, but I'm thinking the 2 really weak chicks may need a heavier dosage.

Thanks,
Justin

Just thought I'd give you guys an update. I ended up losing 2 more chicks but they were VERY weak. And they ended up dieing only a day or two after I started using the Corid. I still have a couple chicks that are a little weak, but they are doing much better and the more healthy chicks that I have separated are running around like crazy and acting normal again
smile.png
This has been a very good learning experience for me. I'll know exactly what to look out for the next time they act sick like that.

I did have another question. One of the more healthy chicks seems to be having a hard time breathing sometimes. It'll be laying down and then it'll hop up and be gasping for air with his head up. He'll do that a little bit and then set back down. None of the other chicks are doing this. The brooder is only about 85 degrees and I have a fan blowing across the top of the brooder to help keep them cool. I'm just wondering if the chick has some sort of respiratory infection from having the coccidiosis?? Is there anything I can give him?

Thanks,
Justin

Back
Top Bottom