Chicks dying while hatching

bclark7679

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I am incubating my third batch of eggs. I have had three baby chicks hatch and three more piping. I have had three die while hatching. They will pipe and then they die. My humidity is 70% and temp is 99.5. Is there a reason for them to pipe and die? I have never had this problem before? Please help.

I had the humidity at 50% during first 18 days. I have a chick zipping right now & two piping so not real sure why those 3 died after piping and the others have been ok. Would too high temps do that? When I went to bed last night the inc. Was fine then when I woke up the temp was like 100 & I had two dead chicks.

I had the humidity at 50% during first 18 days. I have a chick zipping right now & two piping so not real sure why those 3 died after piping and the others have been ok. Would too high temps do that? When I went to bed last night the inc. Was fine then when I woke up the temp was like 100 & I had two dead chicks.
I dry hatch so I keep my humidity as close to 30% as possible the first 18 days.

Yes they can become overheated. Did you calibrate your thermometer to be sure it was accurate? If it is off by 0.5 a degree or 1 degree, now you are talking 101 in the incubator, that's pretty warm, especially in high humidity.

50% is not excessively high if you're positive that your hydrometer is accurate. 100* is not hot enough to kill chicks, perhaps you had a spike or dip you were unaware of or your thermometer is whacked like roo or 2 mentioned?
Lots of times chicks simply don't make it even when you have everything perfect.

I have learned a lot from the posts. I have chicks almost done getting through the shell and then suddenly no movement and later examination reveals they are dead. Did high humidity during early incubation actually cause that?

Back
Top Bottom