Chicks Dying

JonKitto

Hatching
Jul 18, 2023
I have a few assorted bantams in a coop in the garden and every so often one or more of the hens go broody and chicks result.

There've been two batches this year... the first batch had five chicks of which three died.

The second batch has had four hatchlings so far with ten eggs still underneath the hens.

The ones that die seem to hatch lethargic and have difficult moving. I tend to put the hatchlings in a big flower pot inside our outbuilding along with a mother hen to keep them warm. They get chick crumb and water but I wonder what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give.

I have a few assorted bantams in a coop in the garden and every so often one or more of the hens go broody and chicks result.

There've been two batches this year... the first batch had five chicks of which three died.

The second batch has had four hatchlings so far with ten eggs still underneath the hens.

The ones that die seem to hatch lethargic and have difficult moving. I tend to put the hatchlings in a big flower pot inside our outbuilding along with a mother hen to keep them warm. They get chick crumb and water but I wonder what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give.
I make sure to give my chicks a medicated brand of chick crumble for the first 3-4 weeks of their life so. That way it stops them from getting a common type of illness.

I have the same issue. We're on our 3 batch this year. in the first 2 batches, only 2 survived in each batch. We just had 5 hatch yesterday, we took them immediately and put them in bin with water and medicated crumble and a heat lamp. one of the chicks was completely fine this morning but by this afternoon she was lethargic and just died. She didn't seem overheated, and she didn't appear cold, and she was eating and drinking. They seem to die within the first two days.

Back
Top Bottom