chick's eye -- problem!

achake01

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
My chick has an eye problem! Does anyone know what this is, or how to treat it?
51209_img_1584.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture, is it matted or runny or crusty?? How does the chick behave? Does it act sick or could if have gotten scratched??

Thank you --
I noticed it the day after I brought the chicks home (three days ago). I started putting bacitracin directly on the eye and washing it out with basic eye drops from CVS (99% purified water). This seems to have helped open up the eye, which you couldnt see before. So now I know he has an eye, it just looks infected and shut. That eye also looks very dilated. I went to the feed store and got a packet of Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder, which I am adding to their drinking water at a rate of about 1/4 tsp. per 1 cup.
How do you guys think I am doing?
Also, he has something on his feett that the other chick of the same breed doesnt have, but I don't know if that means illness. I'll see if I can take a picture and send along.
Thanks all
Anne-Marie.

Oh! And the chick acts quite normal. Playful and curious and appetite like the others.

Hi, I have a chick, who the day after I brought her home, had her eye shut. Come to find out, one of the other chicks was pecking everyone's eyes. Jeez!! So I cleaned it up with sterile water, and it seemed to get better until day 4, then I noticed a little goop and crust. I was at the vet that day for my horse, so I asked him about it, and he gave me a triple antibiotic ointment to put in her eye. He said to give it atleast 5 days, and if it was working to continue for 10 days, 3 times a day. So today is day 7 and the eye is pretty much back to normal. She, too, was acting completely normal, aside form the eye injury.

So maybe the ointment may help your baby.

Sally,
Just wanted to let you know that your message made me feel a lot better. In just a day, this chick is practically cured; I am blown away by how helpful this Web site was. With a simple eye wash applied four times a day, along with a triple antibiotic ointment applied directly to the eye after the wash (who knew?!), in just a day, this chick is remarkably better. Also, I was able to avoid having to spend $100 at the vet for a prescription and just go straight to the feed store for a little antibiotic to add to their water. (Yay feed stores, Boo pricey vets!). For a little guy I thought had a missing eye--to now having two!--is pretty remarkable and I feel humbled and grateful to all of you for your wisdom, kindness and help.
All the best--
Anne Marie

Back
Top Bottom