1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks found dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wyandottewild, Jan 10, 2016.

1. wyandottewild

wyandottewild New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    I had 6 Wyandotte chicks that I hatched under a Silkie hen, they are now about 2 and a half months old and were running with my other chickens, in the last week I have lost 3. I would come down to let all the chickens out and one chick overnight had been killed, heads missing. At first I thought it was the other chickens so I segregated the chicks but have just found another dead this morning. My thoughts are that a rat has killed them as there are rat droppings on the ground and in and around the food dispenser. Has anyone had this problem before? The coop is on a concrete slab and locked every night so I'm sure it is not a fox plus where the chicks were last night is in a fenced (floor to ceiling) area of its own. I'm just so puzzled at the moment and very sad I keep loosing my chicks.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Heads missing is not other chickens, it's usually rats or something in the weasel family. You need to find the holes in your coop and plug them. Remember, rats and weasels can fit through areas the size of a quarter, so you need to be very, very thorough.

Lots of folks won't use poison around their chickens, but I've used the bait stations with good results.They're designed so there's no way the chickens can access the bait. Problem is, now I have a dead rat under the hay barn and it stinks [​IMG]. But, it's dead and the chickens are fine, so I'm basically happy.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    x2

1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I believe you have a weasel. He'll kill all the young'uns then he'll start in on the adults.

5. wyandottewild

wyandottewild New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    No weasels in Aus so must be a rat, will get onto it asap

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by