Chicks getting used to us

levalleygirl88

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
So I've been holding my two week old chicks as much as possible. I brought them home a week and a half ago and they still seem jumpy and scared. Is there anything special that I need to do or is this normal. I read that the more you hold them the more used to us they get. Any advice is appreciated!

If your brooder setup has you reaching in from the top, that can contribute to the jumpiness. Imagine a disembodied hand floating down from the ceiling of your house and grabbing you. That is what they think of it as. Try a large carboard box with an access hole cut in the side. They like seeing all of you, not just a scary hand.

Great advice above. I used to spread an old sheet on the floor and bring them out to hang out with me. they would crawl all over me. You can try some treats too! Way to a chickens heart is thru their beak! LOL

You can also feed them treats on your hand. My chicks particularly like wet food.
Also, singing to them and having a particular word that you say to them will help them remember your voice, and they'll eventually come to you when they hear it.
I'm currently working on getting my chicks to be familiar with me. It takes patience and care. Have fun!

Great advice above. I used to spread an old sheet on the floor and bring them out to hang out with me. they would crawl all over me. You can try some treats too! Way to a chickens heart is thru their beak! LOL
What kind of treat do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom