Chicks hatched in the hedge outside, should I move them into the coop?

Robin_Hood

Chirping
Mar 8, 2021
Hi everyone,
6 chicks hatched this morning, outside in a sheltered hedge. Do I need to move them all into the coop to protect against predation or leave them to their own devices?

If there are predators around you have definitely to put them in a predator proof area. Since they're still very very young I'd avoid putting them directly with the others, I think it would be better if you put them in a dog crate in the run or if you separate them by cutting a part of the run with a net. What about their mum? Does she take care of them?

If there are predators around you have definitely to put them in a predator proof area. Since they're still very very young I'd avoid putting them directly with the others, I think it would be better if you put them in a dog crate in the run or if you separate them by cutting a part of the run with a net. What about their mum? Does she take care of them?
The mum has been taking great care of them, she scares off the other hens & puppy if they get too close. She brings them under the hedge at night/if it's raining/if she suspects danger. I have cats who have found out about them though and a lot of buzzards/magpies etc so want to move them ASAP, just wondering how to go about this? Can i just stick them in a box and she'll follow along, o will this cause too much distress?

The mum has been taking great care of them, she scares off the other hens & puppy if they get too close. She brings them under the hedge at night/if it's raining/if she suspects danger. I have cats who have found out about them though and a lot of buzzards/magpies etc so want to move them ASAP, just wondering how to go about this? Can i just stick them in a box and she'll follow along, o will this cause too much distress?
You can try to pick up the mother and the chicks at night if she doesn't let you catch her and attacks you

They have their mum looking after them
That's good. Moving them might be difficult, might be easy. It's really going to be up to the mama hen to determine success. If she is ok with the move, it will likely go easily. If she is not interested in your "help", you'll likely be wasting your time.

I'm glad to hear she's looking after them, but since they're essentially living outside, the hen and the chicks are certainly more at risk of predators. I think your best bet is to put the chicks in the coop (in a nest box) at night, then scoop up mama and put her in there with them. She might take to it, she might not.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
That's good. Moving them might be difficult, might be easy. It's really going to be up to the mama hen to determine success. If she is ok with the move, it will likely go easily. If she is not interested in your "help", you'll likely be wasting your time.

I'm glad to hear she's looking after them, but since they're essentially living outside, the hen and the chicks are certainly more at risk of predators. I think your best bet is to put the chicks in the coop (in a nest box) at night, then scoop up mama and put her in there with them. She might take to it, she might not.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Hello and thanks for your reply!
So the chicks are 2 weeks old now and thriving! They have not been inside once but have integrated with the flock when they are out of the coop. Their mother and father keep a close eye on them and sound the alarm if they see anything suspicious. My two cats and puppies respect that they are part of the chicken family and are not to be trifled with. They have grown so much and already learned to fly!

Moral of the story: nature knows what it's doing

Back
Top Bottom