Chicks hatching early...when to take out of bator?

Kristy in WA

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Eastern Washington
I have 24 eggs, and they started hatching on Day 19. Most of them are banties, which are the ones that have started to hatch already. I have 3 regular sized eggs and there is no pip or anything yet on those. When can I take my fuzzy butts out of the bator? I'm thinking they should come out by day 21 since they hatched on day 19, but then what about opening the bator and the eggs that haven't started to do anything yet, and it's only day 21? How do I deal with this early hatch, not open the bator so the others can have their chance to hatch, but get the live ones out before they starve??? I need some advice! Kristy

what day are you on now? Don't leave them in the bator 3 days they need to eat. Take them out 24 hours after hatching and put them in the brooder with food and water. Dip their beaks in the water so they know where to find it. Just open the bator fast just enough to reach in and snatch out the fuzzy butts, you shouldn't lose to much heat or humidity that way. Congratulations!

For the ones that haven't hatched you really don't want to open up the incubator. For the ones that have hatched and have been in there two days, you want to get them out. Compromise: open incubator as briefly as possible and take out chicks that are ready and dry, and do this strategically to get the most early chicks out and so that hopefully you won't have to do it again.
The humidity loss (and temperature fluctuation) is a concern, so perhaps have something ready eg. a fine mister to add a bit more humidity back in as you close the incubator up again?
For what it is worth, my incubator instructions say you can open up the incubator to remove chicks maximum once a day.
I think I am going to run into the same problem as you, having bantam and standard eggs in my incubator and this being my first incubator hatch with 42 eggs. I am on day 18 today, and have been thinking about uneven hatching rate likelihood. One can only do the best one can and strike the best compromise given the situation. The mother hen will abandon the other eggs after the first chick is two days old, to go and get food and water. Best of luck to you, and me! Keep us posted with how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom