Chicks hatching early!

RussianChickens

Songster
9 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Michigan (USA)
So my chicks were set to hatch on easter. Lockdown was set for tonight when I got home. As I was checking the bator before I left I found 3 had pipped and one was in full hatch mode still in the turner cups!

I quick pulled them out of the turner and put some water in the bottom and threw some paper towels down on the screen and layed them back on their sides in the bator.

So did I do the right thing?

So. I still imagine the other 5 eggs are going to hatch Sunday so I guess I will have to pull the hatched chicks out eventually and put them in a brooder. I put all the eggs on their sides back in the bator without the turner.

Last edited:
So my chicks were set to hatch on easter. Lockdown was set for tonight when I got home. As I was checking the bator before I left I found 3 had pipped and one was in full hatch mode still in the turner cups!

I quick pulled them out of the turner and put some water in the bottom and threw some paper towels down on the screen and layed them back on their sides in the bator.

So did I do the right thing?

So. I still imagine the other 5 eggs are going to hatch Sunday so I guess I will have to pull the hatched chicks out eventually and put them in a brooder. I put all the eggs on their sides back in the bator without the turner.
I would at least turn off the turner. Put them in the bator, and get your humidity up. Where your incubator temps a little high? When did you set your eggs?

I would at least turn off the turner.  Put them in the bator, and get your humidity up.  Where your incubator temps a little high?  When did you set your eggs?

No they were right on temp.

I took them all out of the turner and layed them on their sides Luke the two above and put the bator back together. I added water and unplugged the other hole.

My chicks started hatching on day 18 as well, I don't have a digital thermometer just a bulb style and kept the temp between the 98 and 100 mark the majority of the time and they hatched early all were strong healthy chicks. My guess is it averaged slightly above the required temp the whole time causing them to hatch early. I doubt they just are "fast growing" eggs, certainly the temp was a little high. I'm going to do it the same next time though as it was a good hatch even with being early.

I just put my incubator in lockdown yesterday and woke up to a chick this morning came home from work tonight to yet another baby the others have been rolling their eggs around I can imagine I'll wake up to @ least 1 more by morning. It's only day 19. My temp has remained steady @ 99.5 the whole time however I did store the eggs for almost a wk before putting them in the incubator. It was alittle warmer in the house that wk so I'm guessing the elevated temps that wk caused them to start developing early. @ any rate I'm happy for early babies lol I have no patience :)

I just put my incubator in lockdown yesterday and woke up to a chick this morning came home from work tonight to yet another baby the others have been rolling their eggs around I can imagine I'll wake up to @ least 1 more by morning. It's only day 19. My temp has remained steady @ 99.5 the whole time however I did store the eggs for almost a wk before putting them in the incubator. It was alittle warmer in the house that wk so I'm guessing the elevated temps that wk caused them to start developing early. @ any rate I'm happy for early babies lol I have no patience :)
Happened to me, I put my eggs in right out of the chickens butt too lol! Temp was 99.5

I had wyandotte chicks hatch on day 15.. I didn't do any candling at all and just left bator do its job with 24 eggs.. I took out 7 chicks on the 15th day all healthy now and have the rest of the eggs still in there, I did some quick candling to see whats going on and found 7 to be blanks. Its day 19 today so will find out what's going on with the rest of them.

Back
Top Bottom