chicks hatching from small end

Otter22

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Northern California
I have been going through a hatch of coturnix eggs about 3 of them have tried to hatch from the small end or middle of the egg they have gotten to jammed to turn around and unzip all the way and just get stuck pecking at the same spot. I know I am not supposed to help them but I had to give the little guys a chance after listening to them cry for hours and the little beaks just poking at the same hole over and over is just so sad.

I have the eggs in the hatcher with the large end leaning up so I am not sure how they are getting turned around. Could it be all the banging around from the new babies in the hatcher that gets them turn the wrong way?

I also see that some folks hatch the eggs in egg crates with the large end up and thinking about trying that.

Thanks for your help,

John

Sorry i can't help much, i've never hatched Coturnix. i have hatched Buttons, though, and most hatched out just fine. But the ones that seemed to be having problems i just cracked the eggs open and popped them out. Quail are so much smaller than chickens, and i have more experience with those. i tend to be more careful with the chickens as so many things can go wrong. Quail are just so teeny! i hope they all come out alright.

You are over cooking your eggs! Your bator/hatcher temp is to high. Standing them upright in egg cartons/flats may help, but I think you have the heat turned up to high. I'll bet they start pecking out the bottom of the shell, way to early to boot.
Just my best guess. Turn the heat down a bit.
smile.png

Keep Them Upright In Cartons... It Helps As Well As Gives The Backwards Ones More Of A Chance To Hatch... Like The 3 You've Had So Far. I Bet If You Keep The Non Hatched Eggs And Do A Necropsy On Them You'll Mind Many Chicks Developed Fully And Pipped Low (at Least The Inner Membranes, But Never Hatched.

Quote:
Could you please explain how high temps would cause the embryos to breech?

You need to lower the temps a degree for hatching, it does make them hatch easier. Though I don't see how the temp being too high would affect them.

Two thing that can cause this is...eggs need store large end up and turned. Not being turned in the incubater enought , chick sticking to egg side can't turn. I have seen that when the air cell is on side of egg , need to be at large ends.

Where these shipped eggs. all my eggs are layed on their side in hatcher.

Well the eggs that were breech were some of the last to hatch and my temps had been between 99 and maybe a bit over 100 a few times.

Yes they were shipped eggs.

I used the a new turner I got for my incubator for the first time with this hatch it is a turn-x incubator and the only other thought I had was the eggs are rolled with this turner and I did notice sometimes the large end of some of the eggs would be down but would only be that way for a little while. But then they had been put into the hatcher for the last 3 days and set with the large end up.

It is very tempting to try hatching them in a egg crate for the last 3 days and seeing if that helps.

I have a group of button eggs in there now would putting them in egg crate to hatch work for them too?

I store my eggs in quail trays big side up and when they go in the turner they are big side up. I've had a few that pipped at the little end. I just help them out.

Back
Top Bottom