Chicks have hatched......when will she lay again?

MuranoFarms

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
The broody silkie did a wonderful job! She hatched out 3 babies and they are doing great a week later.
My question: when will she start to lay again? I ask because she's in a cage with the babies and really doesn't have a space to lay an egg. I need to get her a bigger set-up before the time comes.

Thanks!

Hens usually will not return to laying until after they have kicked the chicks to the curb @ about 5 weeks old. or - something happens to the chicks (dies, or you take them away) - so expect another month or so before you see her wanting to lay - she'll start meandering off and even pecking her chicks to get them to go fend for themselves around the 5-6 week mark more than likely - then a few days later when she's through with tending to them she'll start laying.

if you take chicks away - she'll mourn them for a few days and then maybe 6-10 days after you take chicks away she'll pick back up laying - but all hens are different - some will go right back to wanting to steal eggs and brood if you take chicks away from them. Silkies especially!

usually 4-6 weeks or so, she doesn't have to kick the chicks to the curb to start laying again, I have a hen with a chick who lays everyday... The chick goes into the nest box and sits with her til she is done
love.gif

Awww! That's so cute Chickenaddict
big_smile.png

Mine had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with her chicks right at 4 weeks and they never hung out together again! She started laying eggs in the next day or two.

Back
Top Bottom