Chicks have hatched......when will she lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuranoFarms, Jul 26, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    The broody silkie did a wonderful job! She hatched out 3 babies and they are doing great a week later.
    My question: when will she start to lay again? I ask because she's in a cage with the babies and really doesn't have a space to lay an egg. I need to get her a bigger set-up before the time comes.

Thanks!

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens usually will not return to laying until after they have kicked the chicks to the curb @ about 5 weeks old. or - something happens to the chicks (dies, or you take them away) - so expect another month or so before you see her wanting to lay - she'll start meandering off and even pecking her chicks to get them to go fend for themselves around the 5-6 week mark more than likely - then a few days later when she's through with tending to them she'll start laying.

if you take chicks away - she'll mourn them for a few days and then maybe 6-10 days after you take chicks away she'll pick back up laying - but all hens are different - some will go right back to wanting to steal eggs and brood if you take chicks away from them. Silkies especially!

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Thank you so much!

4. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    mine waited untill they was 4 weeks

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    usually 4-6 weeks or so, she doesn't have to kick the chicks to the curb to start laying again, I have a hen with a chick who lays everyday... The chick goes into the nest box and sits with her til she is done [​IMG]

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Awww! That's so cute Chickenaddict [​IMG]

Mine had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with her chicks right at 4 weeks and they never hung out together again! She started laying eggs in the next day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by