chicks huddled together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ajlynco, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    Is it normal for my 11 chicks to sleep all bunched up together? They're healthy and active and the temp in the brooder is good. When they take thier naps during the day they fall asleep just about anywhere, but most of the time at night they'll bunch up together and sleep in a tight group. My guess is this is thier natural instinct and they do it for warmth and protection. Input?

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    They could be a bit too cold at night. I would give them another lamp, placed so they can move into a cooler area if they need to.

3. greenckick

greenckick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    I don't know if it is chicken behavior but it is my chicken's behavior too. This is my first batch and they are 4-5 weeks old. We put them outside in the coop when we had some days over 70 degrees the last week or so and when they were not eating or scratching or pushing each other down the ramp they were all snuggled up together in a nesting box. They even scratched a nice pile of shavings into the one box to bed in but did not scratch or enter the other box in the coop.

They sleep together inside the brooder too so I don't think it is a temperature thing. They just like to snuggle[​IMG]

4. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I'm thinkin' the same thing. During the day they just plop down wherever they wear out at, take a short nap, then up & at em again. Each other is the only thing they know so they probably feel safer huddled together. I put a little 3" high perch in for them last week and I think I'll add another about 6" higher behind the short one. It's amazing how much they grow and develop each day. They really like tomatoes and broccoli, and LOVE cantaloupe! I've got a 14" round dish full of play sand for them to get their grit and dust bathe in. What a hoot! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by