chicks in an earthquake!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by allieloveschickens, Jun 15, 2010.

1. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    well today I moved my three 5 week old BR chicks out to the big coop, finally finished it! When it started to get dark they were making quite a fuss, I closed them in the coop with a solar light and they calmed down. Checked on them at 8:30pm, all sleeping in a pile in one corner. then at 9:40 there was a 5.7 earthquake just east of where I live! everything was shaking for 15-20 seconds. My poor little girls, their first night in a strange coop and the whole world starts rocking. They seemed okay when I went out and checked on them- but certainly not asleep any more! I think they will be fine, but we are all a little "shaken" [​IMG]

2. newbie donna

newbie donna Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    SW Missouri
    Just glad to hear that you're all ok! My grandfather used to tell me that the animals knew when a quake or any bad weather was on its way. Maybe they knew before you did.

3. LittleChocobo

LittleChocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    I'm glad everybody's ok! Who knows, maybe they'll think it's weird the next night when the coop doesn't shake.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I remember the Loma Prieta Quake...Maybe they surfed it and those were peeps of excitement! Wahooooooooooooo that was fun! Actually the Loma Prieta Earth Quake was name that because the epicenter was at my College Room Mates parents mail box on Loma Prieta Road!

Nothing but a gentle rocking of the tetonic plates right?

Caroline

5. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh the poor little peas!
    My girls are in the coop for their first night, as well. I am grateful we haven't felt the earth move tonight!
    Glad everybody is ok!

Bright Blessings

6. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Aww, so glad they didn't get hurt!

7. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks everyone for your kind words, I let the girls out this morning and they are as chipper as ever. I guess us CA chicks just have to get used to a little earth shaking every now and then [​IMG] I gave them some breakfast spinach- its one of their favorites, they eat healthier than anyone else in my house! Everyone is safe and happy, not too much more you can ask for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by