Chicks in BAD shape

Saok

Hatching
May 24, 2015
I have two little rescue chicks, one black and one yellow. The yellow one was in bad shape but I got a lamp and she seemed okay. The black one cannot lift its head or walk and just kind of pulls itself around. Both chirp, loudly. They will not eat and now my heat lamp is broken!!!!! What can I do to save them?!

I have two little rescue chicks, one black and one yellow. The yellow one was in bad shape but I got a lamp and she seemed okay. The black one cannot lift its head or walk and just kind of pulls itself around. Both chirp, loudly. They will not eat and now my heat lamp is broken!!!!! What can I do to save them?!

You will need to find a heat source; even a house lamp turned on its side, if tall, will work. Use a lower wattage bulb. Be sure they are drinking. Dip their bills, just the tip, in water. Loud chirping may indicate that they are not warm enough. Good Luck.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

We're glad you decided to join Backyard Chickens!
frow.gif

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
yippiechickie.gif

X2 on @nchls school's advise. I hope your chicks make a full recovery.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes they NEED heat. Heating pads are very helpful. Try and get a new heat lamp asap. And even if they don't drink by themselves, you need to get liquid into them. Use a syringe or dropper if you have to. Or you can just dip their beaks in the waterer a couple times each hour.

You should post here as well https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Best of luck!
hugs.gif

How old are these chicks? The yolk sac will sustain them for a couple days. When you show them feed or water, tap your finger on the dish, that is how a hen would alert them. They do need the heat young chicks cannot regulate their temperature and chill easily.

Back
Top Bottom