Chicks in bad storms

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jenna14Chicken, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Hey everyone my chickies just turn 8 weeks old So they went out side for good yesterday with the old flock. Well while using the playpen method for several weeks more around a month or so it never stormed or rained. And since they went outside just yesterday they still have never been in any rain. Well anyway to the point it is really bad because there are going to be really bad storms here in a few hours and I'm worried. PLEASE TELL ME THEY WILL BE OK! SHOULD I BRING THEM INSIDE? I really want them to get used to there new home but I don't want nothin to happen to them

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

chickens are not water birds, they might cold and scared, you can leave them out in storms at that age as longs as they have shelter and the storms aren't too severe

3. 4-H chick

4-H chick Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    I have done this and as long as they are not wet they will be fine

4. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    It's suppose to be pretty severe. There is going to be hail involved (well that's what they showed and said) I will locked them up before it starts storming cause it's going to last throughout the night

5. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

make sure they have really good shelter! if you see the freaking them out take them in.

6. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Ok thank you it just started raining but not hard. I will lock them up once it starts to rain harder and it starts storming

7. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    If hail is predicted get ALL your birds under roof. Hail is like being stoned to death. It is rock hard frozen water that has fallen thousands of feet. I have seen it break windows, beat the siding and roof off houses, totally denude trees and break limbs. Adult or baby your birds don't stand a chance in a hail storm.

8. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    I have never actually been in any storm before with hail but I have seen what I can do and I locked all my birds in the coop. The only bad thing is there is a window on the coop! Hopefully it's not bad and doesn't break! Please please tell me it won't break PLEASE NO!! Ahh now I'm really freAking out since I've never had any hail in storms before I don't no if it is like I don't no ahh
    I love my birds and I cannot go through any more deaths I just can't

9. welby1205

welby1205 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    Western Michigan
    Did they make it through?

10. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Yes! Thanks you guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by