1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks in October: winter edition

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kzas, Oct 6, 2015.

1. kzas

kzas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    Thank you all so much for your help! Chicken people are so friendly! ;)

2. kzas

kzas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    I'm in the Madison area...you?

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    From Wisconsin as well, I recommend waiting until next spring, for chicks, I wait until June to avoid all the problems from the cold and wet. You could get some started hens or adults in the mean time, or do a lot of learning and planning, brooding chicks can be tricky if you're a novice, and brooding out of season could be a disaster.

4. tenman78

tenman78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Winabago County,IL
    Winnebago co. IL here, I'm new at chickens too ,but I just put my 3 week olds out in their coop with a 100w heat lamp pointed at one corner of the coop and they seem as happy as can be, were getting roudy in their brooder indoors.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I raised chicks in winter here in Michigan ONCE, and won't do it again. The $$$ spent on the heat lamp until they were fully feathered, and then the time spent reducing the heat when it was very cold, just wasn't worth it to me. You will have an easier time, and less cost, and a much better selection of breeds, by waiting until spring. Closing windows will provide inadequate ventilation, a very bad thing. Also, if you are getting chicks in the mail, be careful about temperature extremes. I order chicks in spring, after the weather moderates, and before summer heat. Mary

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's why I raise mine in June, almost no heat needed, as well as it being dry enough not to worry about cocidiosis. And I can get them out to the coop by 6-8 weeks.

7. tenman78

Sep 27, 2015
    Winabago County,IL
    I'm watching them closely,they were used to no heat lamp in my basement,and Ive had them outside a couple hours every day for about a week. Their feathers are growing in quite quickly,and are cold resistant Australorp/Amercauna mix.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    yours should be fine as they are already older, moving them to the coop was a good idea.

9. tenman78

Sep 27, 2015
    Winabago County,IL
    Thanks!

10. likkatron

likkatron Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2015
    About and hour or two out of Madison, Lake Geneva, Delevan, around there. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by