chicks in the coop, now no one is laying!

igotchickens

Songster
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Is that normal? I have 2 chicks in the coop now with mommy. The first few days, everything was fine, then it went to 2 eggs, then 2 eggs again, now no eggs. I have 14 layers, 2 were broody and stopped, was averaging around 6-8 per day.... We had a few slow days awhile back and we were thinking predator, but 3 days in a row to have 2- none?! Does anyone think it has anything to do with the chicks? And it's about time I dose them with Valbazen (saw some tapeworms in poo awhile back, now none)... but I'm worried with the chicks. Should I just dose all of the adults to be safe? Or will that cause a problem with the babies? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Its very possible. Are your mama and babies in a cage, or do they have access to the whole coop? When my broody took control of the coop, she wouldn't let anyone inside to lay their eggs. So they opted to lay in the goat house rather than brave an encounter with the big, bad broody. Once she started bringing her chicks outside, they went back to laying in their boxes. Another thought, it is that time of year. Is it possible your chickens are going into moult? Some of mine have already started and finished, while others are still battling the balding blues. Good luck!

The babies are in the coop, access to all the same areas as hens. 3 days now with no eggs
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom