Chicks just moved from Brooder will NOT sleep inside

I assume that your chicks are huddling on the ground, is that so?

How old are your chicks and can they fly up to or make it to the roost? What breed are they and is that breed one that as adults are able to roost higher up or is that breed (a heavier one) that as adults are only able to make it 2 or 3 feet off the ground?

Moreover if chilled all chicks huddle or crowd close together for mutual warmth. Your birds may be missing their mama (the brooder light) and they are doing what all chicks instincts are and that is huddling in anticipation of a mama hen taking them under her wings and helping warm them.

A simple chicken ladder leading up to the roost pole could be all that is needed to get them started roosting inside on the roost pole.

All that you assumed is correct, they are mixed breeds of Delaware, silkies/polishes and Marans, all standard. I have seen them all at one time or another on the poles so they can get up to them. They are huddling together for warmth (a problem that would be alleviated by going inside), should I bring they're light back and keep that on for them for a few more weeks. When I left the light on I'd find some of them walking around that little run area at all hours of the night.

Back
Top Bottom