Chicks kicking bedding into feeder, waterer...

Hello all!

So my chicks (6 BPRs, 4 RIRs) are now 5 weeks old -- yay! It's still pretty cold where I live, so they're not going outside full-time for a couple of weeks yet, but their run is built and the coop is ready for them. I'm having issues with feeding, though. They're eating really well, but they are constantly kicking the pine shavings into their feeder and then refuse to move them to eat the crumbles under it. The last few bags of crumbles have been pulverized to dust (Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter), so I'm having to mix every batch with water for them to even access it. They mash it into a flat layer in the chick feeders and then cover it with shavings, so when I go out to check on them, they're starving. I've elevated their feeder a bit, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I work full-time and have kids, I can't pull shavings out of their food multiple times a day. Should I change their feed, their feeders, something else?? I've seen references on the forum here to pellets as an alternative to the crumbles, but I can't find any medicated chick pellets.
Also, I have a hanging waterer with those little gravity-fed cups. They still manage to fill the cups with poop and bedding. :barnieAny help greatly appreciated!!
Hang em!

The feeders not the birds, silly.

Do your feeders like I explain in this post.

Make your water feeders like this. Height adjustable and expandable. Auto fill, also ajustable (well... settable by the length of the tubing connected to float valve. With sight level. More images here. The folder is locked but if you request I can allow viewing and or commenting

20230611_194718.jpg
20230611_194725.jpg
20230611_194759.jpg

I saw a video online where they used PCP piping to make a feeder and waterer. They did a great job. I purchased the supplies yesterday and plan on starting the project this evening. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom