1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks learned they could Fly to get Out!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pirtykitty, Apr 11, 2011.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    We were working on the chicks sleeping quarter this morining.. We got the outside nesting box finished and were puting the roost together and screwing it in.. I went past where where we have the chicks for the day ( old doors and hardware cloth fixed up for them to run in during the day..

I look down and all three of them are runing around on the wrong side.. I check for a space don't see any.. catch them and put the back in.. I hadn't even turned my back and on flew to the top of the door and sat there.. LOL.. Will keep them in their coop since it's all finished except for the finishing touches.. Bring them in at night for couple more weeks.. they are weeks old today...

When I can I offer them grit.. they were finding a little bit of bugs while in the grassy enclosed area.. plus I let them roam a little in the evening.. supervised.. they ate a slice of tomato yesterday.. and gobbled down 4 stink bugs I found. have discovered worms are good.. LOL.. and devour meal worms now..
    what other treats are the old enough for.. I have them on chick starter/grower. purina

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Offer grit when they start eating bugs, worms and tomatoes.
    You can offer any treats you would offer any chicken, keep it to small quantities.

Imp- have fun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by