Chicks (mom left)7weeks old want to perch in the tree

Federbed

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
2 out of six love to spend the night in the tree (not a good idea?)They have been together with the ecsisting Flock since birth now I have to keep them in the run until they break the urge when ? How long until I can let them free range and the come home with the older th

Can you try free ranging during the day and giving treats in the run late in the day and then close them in for the night?

2 out of six love to spend the night in the tree (not a good idea?)They have been together with the ecsisting Flock since birth now I have to keep them in the run until they break the urge when ? How long until I can let them free range and the come home with the older th
Welcome to BYC!

How big is the coop(feet by feet)?
How many birds total?
How much roost length(feet)?

Even tho the chicks are integrated into the flock, they are still low status in the pecking order and probably need a separate roost in the coop.
They may be choosing the tree because there's not enough room in the coop.

Where did they sleep with broody mama?
I assume she has gone back to roosting with the flock.....
....and the chicks roosting in the tree started after that?

Th y yes it started when mom left them(and I was not home that night)so last night I blocked excess to the tree got them to gather with food and they are in the coop for the night (relief) the coop is plenty big 10x8 and I built a new roost for the little girls my first go at all this Now the only ?Out of 6chicks how many Rooster I am hoping for one

Oh one more thing mamma and the baby where section of see don't touch the same shed 12x15 total size only I built a makeshift nursery worked great just had to move mom from the nesting box a couple of times to her eggs she is a Buff Orphington great mom for almost 7weeks

Might have to put the chicks on their roost for a few nights(or more)..... do it well after dark so they'll stay put.

Back
Top Bottom