Chicks moving out today....**UPDATE! PHOTOS ADDED!**

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
We got the straw delivered today and now the coop looks and smells more like a coop! I went out and bought a 5 gallon waterer and a feeder that holds 25 pounds, so no more refilling every single day for me! I've attached their light so it can not fall into the bedding, but still provides a "warm zone" for them to gather under when it gets chilly at night. We got that out there early this morn to test it, and it holds a fairly steady 75-80 under it, which is what they're at now in the brooder, so they should do fine. We're finishing up the last minute touches, and around noon or so (when it warms up a bit out) we'll move the chickies to their new home.

I will, of course, post many pictures of how they like it (or dont like it! lol)! They have most of their feathers, so I really hope it goes ok. I'd love to keep them in the house another week or more, but with 27 of them nearing the 4 week mark in size and attitude, it just isnt feasible!

Plus, the mess in the box is hard to keep up with and I want them to live in the best conditions possible, but I cant clean their brooder every few hours! Oi! They poop ALOT! Originally when we ordered the 25, we expected several losses. I figured we'd end up with about 20 after all was said and done. An extra SEVEN really makes a big difference!

They sure are cute little boogers, and we are having a blast with them. I cant wait for fresh eggs, and (please dont think I'm sick or twisted here, but) I've never eating anything I've raised and in a weird way I am looking forward to it. Not that I am looking forward to going from live healthy chicken, to dead floppy chicken....thats the hubs job! BUT, it will be interesting to see if they really do taste better than the poor "I lived without a life" cihckens we eat from the grocery stores. I've heard that they do. Anyone know if its true?

Last edited:
I don't really think they taste a whole lot different than store bought chicken. Maybe a little fresher. But I really like the fact that you KNOW what is in the meat. You never know what 'they' put into their chickens, hormones, antibiotics, steroids... but you control what you put into yours. Same as for the eggs, but I definately think that fresh eggs taste better. They even look better, the yolks are bright yellow and firm, not runny and sometimes almost see through like storebought eggs.
How old are your chicks? Mine are going out today, they are 7 weeks old. However, our barn doesn't have electricity so I can't run a heat lamp. I have brooded them in an old bathtub (don't laugh!) that came out of a house that we renovated. It was free, and it has worked really well, but the chicks have just outgrown it SO fast! They are really crowded, they stink, I can't keep up with the mess, they need some sunshine and fresh air, so they are going out, even without the heat lamp. There are 28, so surely they can generate enough body heat at this age to comfortably make it through 45*F+ nights, and 65*F+ days?

Hey 4H!
It sounds great, your little flock going out!
I am working toward the same thing with mine: they are 6 weeks old today, seem to have their feathers all in, and the weather is cooperating.
What is worrying me is that the following week the temps are going to drop to the 50s in the day and 30s at night.
So I don't know if I should push it or not.
I do have a heat lamp out there, but coop is not insulated and does have drafts I can't fix right away.
(I'm currently working on the new, bigger coop for them)
Any advice out there?
Should I chance it, or hold on to the girls indoors for another week and hope the temps go up?

since your chicks are 6wks old they should be ok out in the coop.even though the temps will be cold.they should be okbecause they are out of the direct wind.

How exciting! I am enjoying our little ladies but ugh.. the poop! The poop never stops! I am type A so I'm cleaning the cage 4-5 times a day.
lol.png
It will be nice when they have more room to spread out in their coop. (and I can start putting the poop to good use in the garden
wink.png
)

Firefly

Well, the coop, nest boxes, roosts, and everything are all set up and done. However, we had a MASSIVE thunderstorm with tornado warnings tonight, and I just couldnt bare thinking of them out there with the thunder and lightning on their first night out...(yea, they are spoiled!) Anyhow, tomorrow looks better and they go out first thing!

Ok, we got them in their new home! I took some pics of their new digs and just gotta show ya how BIG they are now!

The Inside 'Coop
chicks4weeksold001.jpg

Just Flyin' By
chicks4weeksold006.jpg

Some have to sing for their suppers...we just have to st-rreee-ttch!
chicks4weeksold004.jpg

Awww..gimme a kiss
chicks4weeksold007.jpg

Peckin' Around
chicks4weeksold008.jpg

And here is the one chick we are CERTAIN is a roo. He's stunning, and we're keepin' him!
chicks4weeksold005.jpg

Now I cant wait until its warm enough outside for them to try out their outdoor enclosure! Tonight is a tense night for us. We're checking and rechecking everything every hour or so, double checking their temp, making adjustments....it will be a little weird to not wake up hearing their cheeps in the morning...

Back
Top Bottom